Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nanka? 2007/10/8 14:20
Whilst on my travel in Japan this was the word I heard the most and I was wondering what it meant?

Thanks.
by Jawaarden  

ummm... 2007/10/8 17:41
ummm...
by d rate this post as useful

Context? 2007/10/8 17:47
"nanka" is a casual form of "nani ka," and means "anything" or "something."

Depending on the context, a shopkeeper might approach you as you browse through the merchandise and ask "Nanka o-sagashi desu ka?" (Are you looking for something?). Or if you are looking lost in front of a police station, a policeman might ask you "Nani ka arimashita ka?" (Something happened?) in the sense of "Can I help you with anything?" Or a friend might ask you "Nanka nomu?" (You wanna drink something?) "Nanka taberu?" (You want to eat something?) Also, in sentences other than questions, a friend of yours might say "Nanka tabetai" (I want to eat something) ir "Nanka nomitai" (I want to drink something.)

Also, "nan ka" or "nani ka" (not in questions) can mean "somewhat." So a friend of yours might say "Nanka gakkou ni ikitaku nai." (Somewhat I don't feel like going to school). I'd say young people use the word "nanka" in this "somewhat..." quite liberally.
by AK rate this post as useful

stalling 2007/10/9 16:53
Some people also might use it kind of like "umm" when they are trying to think of the right word to explain something. You might hear people say it when they are trying to speak to you in English and they can't think of the right word.
by sazae-san rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/9 18:04
Ohhh, so you are talking about "nanka..." used completely alone then. Yes, some people do use it as "ummmm" or "you know...." kind of "filler" phrases in conversations :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread