Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Okinawa - Cape Hedo 2007/10/11 18:31
I'm planning a trip to Okinawa in summer 2008 for the first time to see Okinawan beaches or coastal scenes. I'm thinking of going to Ishigaka first from Tokyo and then taking a ferry to Naha and staying in a hotel. But, I really want to see the eastern coast of Cape Hedo, but my International Drivers Permit expires in Spring 2008 before the trip. Maybe I should go before the permit expires? What is the weather like in Okinawa in April?
by Joe  

... 2007/10/11 21:12
Cape Hedo is nice but not outstanding. In any case, the April weather in Okinawa is mixed. About 35 to 45 percent sunny days. And about 35 to 40 percent rainy days. Slightly better in the second half of April as compared to the first half. The average daytime high is around 23-26 degrees. Average nighttime lows around 18-21 degrees.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Beaches 2007/10/11 21:24
I'm only planning the trip to see Okinawan beaches or coast lines. Do you have any recommendations?
by Joe rate this post as useful

East coast of Okinawa 2007/10/11 23:32
I drove the east coast of Okinawa from Kin to Cape Hedo then down the west side to Nago in January of this year. It is definitely a beautiful drive. The east coast is sparsely populated and rather rugged. There are some nice beaches (gravel, not sand) between Ada and Hedo.

The drive down 58 to Nago literally hugs the coastline. There are many turnouts and quite a few tunnels. This route is also sparsely populated but not nearly as much as the east coast.

I rented a Nissan March for about 6300 yen/day through TooCoo. The car was perfect for the narrow roads on Okinawa and had a built-in GPS. Although, all the place names were in kanji, the unit was extremely useful and easy to use, even in the more populated areas near Naha.

An alternate trip (highly recommended) is to take the ferry from Naha to Tokashiki or Zamami in the Keramas (rt about 4200 yen). There are some local taxis that will take you pretty much wherever you want to go. There were no car rentals in January.

by Paul rate this post as useful

Hokkaido 2007/10/16 13:26
I'm thinking about going to Hokkaido instead of Okinawa this summer. I really want to see Rebun Island which offers similiar coastal-like scenery.

Coastal Sceenry 2007/10/16 13:28
I've also went to Izu Pennisula this summer. I recommend taking a bus from Shimoda to Irozaki (last stop). I took some of my best pictures there.

Eastern Coast 2008/1/6 00:49
I'm thinking of going now in late March. I wanted to know if it was possible to walk from the Hentona Bus Terminal along Road 2 to the Eastern Coast. How long would it take? Where are the best places for pictures? Also, what will the weather be like in late March? Will it rain?

... 2008/1/6 15:03
I wanted to know if it was possible to walk from the Hentona Bus Terminal along Road 2 to the Eastern Coast.

I see no reason why not.

How long would it take?

I estimate it to take about 5 hours from the bus terminal to the Eastern coast.

Also, what will the weather be like in late March? Will it rain?

Average daytime high around 22 degrees. Average nighttime lows around 16 degrees. Percentage of rainy days about 40-45%. Percentage of days with "considerable rain" (1cm or more) about 17%. Percentage of sunny days about 33%.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hotel 2008/1/6 19:25
I found a Toyoko Hotel near Asahibashi Station which is close to the bus terminal. I think this is good for the first day in Naha to explore the southern region. But then I would like to move north so I can explore the eastern coasts and the Nago region. There are 3 listings in Nago posted here: http://www.ocvb.or.jp/index.php

The last two are around 7,000 yen. But, I think a hotel near the Hetona Bus Terminal would be a better option because it's closer to Cape Hedo, Okuma Beach, and Hiji Waterfall. I would need a hotel close to a bus terminal or stop.

Rental Car 2008/1/6 20:33
Nevermind, I have decided to rent a car, it's not that expensive and my license doesn't expire until March 31st.

This one seems to be the closest to the airport: https://www2.tocoo.jp/?file=rentcar_inbound/branch&id=03302&...

Miyako 2008/1/6 22:02
I also wanted to mention that I will be going to Miyako first. Shouldn't Miyako offer similiar or even better scsenery? Thanks again.

skip north do Itoman 2008/1/8 20:52
I live in the middle of Okinawa Honto and I have been both to the southern coast and Cape Hedo. If I could only do one, I would skip the north and visit the southern coast near Itoman, Mabuni beach. North of Nago you'll be hard pressed to find any thing to do, a place to eat lunch etc. There is a nifty mangrove swamp in or near Higashi village. Hiji falls is closed until 3/31/08.

The south also offers several sites with interest relating to the Battle of Okinawa. The Himeyuri memorial and the peace prayer park (Mabuni beach) offer museums with an insight into the final days of the war and the Okinawan experience. Both are very sad though. You can also swing around and visit Sefa Utaki sacred site.
by Lyrajean rate this post as useful

Miyako 2008/1/8 22:07
I have already booked a hotel in Miyako for 6 nights. There will be time for me inbetween flights to and from Miyako to explore Naha. I want to see Shuri Castle, Kokusaidori, and Nakagusuku Castle the most.

reply to this thread