Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gift for son-in-law's Japanese parents 2007/10/12 07:39
We are the Parents of the bride.
We are meeting our soon to be son-in-law's Japanese parents at the wedding in Hawaii. We will be meeting at a hotel. Should we bring them a small gift?
by hali  

ask 2007/10/12 23:45
ask your soon to be son in law.
when my family comes for a visit (to japan) they always bring something for my in laws. i tell them to bring something made/produced in california (where i'm from) wine, beer, almonds, olive oil, the list goes on.

i'm sure others here will have some better advice.
by O'sakana rate this post as useful

We did ask, however... 2007/10/13 03:06
O'sakana, we did ask, however, he isn't sure since we will be on neutral ground.
If we do bring a gift, it will be a small item.
We don't want to embarrass them if a gift isn't appropriate.
by hali rate this post as useful

Do as the Romans do 2007/10/13 13:17
If Hawaii is part of your country, just do it the American way, whatever that generally is.

Generally speaking, in Japan, those who are visiting is supposed to bring the gift/souvenior. But if you wish to give them a small welcome gift, I see nothing wrong with that at all either. In fact, conservative people in Japan do give something as the visitor leaves for home.

Happy wedding!
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread