Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

American comics as a gift? 2007/10/17 14:35
Reading some other questions, I picked up on the trend of bringing a "local" gift when visiting Japan. I know manga is pretty popular, so would a comic such as Superman or Spiderman be a good gift? Are they available in Japan? Is it too personal hedging a bet that a young Japanese person would be into manga?

Thanks!
by Ben  

. 2007/10/18 11:33
American comics and Japanese manga are quite different.
Unless the person is insterested in American comics (or the film "Spiderman"), it's a bit risky.
by . rate this post as useful

Depends... 2007/10/19 02:53
Though manga and comics are very different, I would think a Japanese person into art at all would be able to appreciate the american gift. However, unless you know atleast a little about who you'll be gifting-I would go with something more neutral, perhaps aninexpensive t-shirt with (proper)english written on it(you already know thats popular) or Ive read snacks are well received
by K rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/19 09:58
Superman or Spiderman comics are indeed available in Japan, but only at limited book stores in large cities if not on-line (Peanuts comics are more popular and more available).

And yes, it is too personal hedging a bet that a young Japanese person would be into manga. For example at a typical high school, there are nerds that are really into manga, and there are those who stand against them. It's probably the same in any country, right?

That said, why not buy a couple of American comics and ordinary magazines (like "Life" or magazines related to fashion, music or cinema) for _yourself_ to read during your flight to Japan? When you arrive, see if your Japanese friends will be interested in any of these, and if they are, give it to them _along_ with other small gifts you have brought.

Btw snacks are also good gifts that young people might prefer.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread