Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gifts for host FamilIES 2007/10/18 20:24
Yes i purposely did the "IES" in families in capitals. I'm going to Japan next year on exchange for a full year and i know its customary to bring gifts over from your home country, im sure that i'd be able to find some cool Australian things, boomerang, stuffed koala etc. But the problem that ive thought of, is when im staying there i will most likely be staying with 3 families. I was just wondering what i should do, becuase i dont really want to take over an entire suitcase of Australian stuff for all my host families, but i dont want to be rude and get the 2nd and 3rd family something that they could buy themselves in Japan.

Any suggestions guys??
by Tom  

This one is easy 2007/10/20 07:12
When I travel to Japan, I often carry small knick-knacks in a small bag. I may toss in a few pens or pencils, a couple of key chains, etc. Small and inexpensive but clearly from my country, is the key. Small sacks of candy or such.

It is common to find that public restrooms do not have hand towels for drying your hands, or simply as a matter of personal hygiene, many people carry a small hand towel or handkerchief. I carry them myself every time I am in country.

Since I reside in NYC, I always pickup a few small handkerchiefs with some NYC scene on it. Those go over very well.

Remember that you can always send your host family a thank you gift afterwards, so keep it simple as you lead in.

Tenshi
by Tenshi rate this post as useful

Trinkets and photos go down well. 2007/10/20 12:01
Howareyagoin?

Im an aussie just like yourself and ive been to japan twice on exchange. I found that if its small and trinkety they will treasure it longer than any large bulky item that will crowd your suitcase. I took things such as keychains and koala pins but dont forget things like stickers and badges.
I was surprised to see that both times i pulled stickers out over there they forgot the arnotts biscuits, they dropped the aussie tea-towels and they didnt pay much more attention to the vegemite (not that its the most delicious thing japanese will ever taste) and had a group discussion about where to apply these bloody stickers!

The other suggestion is i can give you is make up a photo album. History is everything and if you can show your hosts a little peek of what your life is/has been like they will elate to you on a much more familiar level. Plus if you leave it behind it doubles as a prety thoughtful gift.

Hope you have a tonne of fun over there,you wont be sorry you went mate.

PS: dont forget the flag!
by Ben from Dubbo rate this post as useful

Photo Album 2007/10/23 06:20
Ben from Dubbo,

I really like the idea of a leave behind photo album. That's a nice one.

Tenshi
by Tenshi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread