Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Snow monkeys in March? 2007/10/25 10:12
Do the snow monkeys in the Nagano region still visit the hot springs in march? I want to take my daughter to see them but we cannot go any other time of year. Are we likely to see that at that time?
by barry  

... 2007/10/26 01:08
It is my understanding that they can be seen year round but are more common when it is colder.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6025.html
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Snow Monkeys 2007/10/29 02:11
Any time is a great time to see the snow monkeys. I have been to the Monkey Park near Nagano many times. I'm not sure you realize that it is a challenge to get there.

You need to take a private rail line from outside Nagano station to Udanaka which is the end of the line for that train. There is an express which costs a little extra, but is worth it. There is a bus from Udanaka station, but if you are traveling with family I recommend a taxi. It will drop you off at the pathway to the park. You have to walk along a path through the deep woods for at least 1/2 mile. It's a lovely walk, but I would certainly wear boots in March.

The Monkey Park costs about 700 yen per person--children less, I think. There is no food to purchase there.

Pre-arrange a pick-up time with the taxi driver. I would give it about 2-1/2 hours so you can take your time.

Udanaka is a wonderful little town. There are hot springs running under the streets and most everywhere. I've always wanted to go in winter. I would spend the night there in one of the many onsens if I were you. Some are beautiful. On the other side of the tracks from the train station is a hot foot bath. Very enjoyable. One of my favorite places in Japan. Have a great time!

by Happee rate this post as useful

You can . . . 2007/10/29 11:40
. . . catch the bus to Jigokudani from Yudanaka Station, it's not too bad. Also from Nagano I think. But you have to walk a bit to the head of the trail. Last time there I saw some tourists with luggage on route, at the bus stop. The bus stops are out in the open with no shelter.

To make the most of this jaunt, I'd recommend visiting the farmhouse museum nearby. I got a free apple for my time. No ordinary apple either, but one from Nagano (they are famous for them). There is also an interesting art museum up the street, and the the Italian food at the restaurant is decent. Helps to kill time while waiting for the bus back to Yudanaka.

Also if it's snowing, you have shelter this way. There used to be a 7Eleven near the bus stop but that closed a while back.
by Clevor rate this post as useful

amazing experience 2007/10/30 16:07
Hi
I just came back from seeing the monkey park and i must say it was simply amazing.
The trip to the park is not hard, just allow a little time to get there. You can catch a direct bus from Nagano (visit the tourist info centre at the jr station and they will give you the times)
I missed the direct bus in the morning so i had to catch local train to yudanaka and then caught bus to the park entrance.
It was awesome to see all the monkies, and they dont mind humans either.All the baby monkies were adorable too. Have a great time!
by rowena rate this post as useful

Taxi 2007/11/11 03:49
Does anyone know how much the taxi ride cost from the last train stop to the entrance of the park?
by Rabi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread