Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Chawanmushi bowls in London? 2007/10/28 00:21
Hi,
I'd be ever so grateful if someone could tell me where I can find chawanmushi bowls in London. I've had no luck with the big oriental supermarkets or any Japanese supermarkets or websites...
Thanks!
by applelisa  

Mitsukoshi? 2007/10/29 11:56
How about Mitsukoshi?
They may not have any in stock, but it might be possible to have them sent from Japan, as it's one of the biggest department stores in Japan.
by . rate this post as useful

chawanmushi 2007/10/29 15:26
chawanmushi as you know is a steamed egg custard with vegetables and seafoods, so it does not last long,and needs to be kept in fridge(cannot be frozen). So, you may not be able to find outside Japan. It is easy to make the dish.
by mamiko rate this post as useful

... 2007/10/29 15:58
I think the original poster is looking for bowls to make chawanmushi in and not the actual food.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/29 16:01
I think he/she wants to buy the bowls, not chawanmushi from Japan.

Actually they just look like ordinary tea cups but with a timber or bamboo lid on top? No?
by Blanc rate this post as useful

just so that you know 2007/10/29 19:09
You do know that you can use tea cups or mug cups, do you? Or in China, they steam it in one large bowl, which can be substituted by any English ceramic salad bowl. But I suppose you're looking for specific designs with tiny ceramic lids to put on afterwards.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thanks for replies 2007/10/30 01:30
Thankyou all-yes, it is the bowls I am after rather than the custard! I've made chawanmushi successfully in cups, but fancied some of the pretty bowls with lids. Mitsukoshi doesn't seem to stock them, but there's no harm in asking if they can get them.
Thanks again
applelisa
by applelisa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread