Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Teaching Jobs on a Spouse Visa 2007/10/29 11:34
Here's the deal. I'm engaged to a wonderful Japanese woman whom I've been with for over three years. I'm also currently in the process of earning my bachelor's degree in Communications. I got a late start in life in regards to my education (I'm 27) and the two of us are ready to take things to the next step and start our lives together officially. I'm wondering if I'll have a hard time getting a teaching gig if I've got a spouse visa and an associates degree? I plan to continue my education via distance learning to eventually earn my bachelors, meaning I can stick with the same school after arrival in Japan. We'd be living in the Kyushu area. Thanks in advance for any advice, answers, or tips.
by Lee  

. 2007/10/29 15:20
If you are looking for a teaching job right now you might find it VERY difficult. NOVA which is Japan's largest employer of english teachers just went into bankruptcy, even though they're still working to prevent liquidation, many many teachers and staff have already quit, this means theres a large pool of unemployed english teachers looking for other jobs. So right now in the short to medium term I think it would be hard to get a teaching job even if you had a lot of certifications.
by John rate this post as useful

On immigration issue 2007/10/29 18:27
Apart from the NOVA situation (while I'm well aware about the implications on practical employment prospects), in terms of Immigration requirements, if you are on a spouse visa already, that means your future employer would not have to sponsor you for work-permitting visa, which is one less hassle for your potential employer in Japan. So if you are a native speaker of English, there is a chance. But, yes, the situation surrounding English conversation teachers is currently as outlined by John. ...Since you will be on a spouse visa (no restriction on paid activities), you can do private tutoring as well, though. So that is a plus.

If you came without a spouse visa, and with an *associate* degree, since the immigration requirement for work-visa sponsorship is at least a bachelor's degree or several years of experience in a relevant field, that would be close to impossible to find an employer to sponsor you.
by AK rate this post as useful

Depends 2007/10/29 23:15
Hi there! First of all congrats on the engagement! Second of all about the spousal visa, are you going to come to Japan then get married and then apply for the spousal visa? Depending on your nationality and/or situation, it is much easier to get a spuosal visa if you get married and apply for it from within your own country.

As to getting a job, it might be hard with the Nova situation, as mentioned above. However if you have a spousal visa, you can work anywhere. The better your Japanese is the more options you got.

Good luck with everything!

Peace
by Paul Leung rate this post as useful

Hi Again 2007/10/30 03:09
To answer your question Paul, I'm an American. I know about the Nova situation and it's an incredibly unfortunate situation for all of those having to wait on back-pay (of up to six months!). As far as going to Japan, that probably won't be happening until this time next year. And since you brought it up, would it be easier marrying in Japan or America? I always get the impression that America makes everything a lot more difficult than it needs to be. Thanks again everyone.
by Lee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread