Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

More about Senior High School... 2007/10/29 15:17
I have m o r e questions!
Gomen for causing so much trouble...
Okay, here goes,
1)In Japan, do they have what we in Singapore, call: 'Boy's Home'?
I believe so...but I'm not too sure. And do they call it Boys Home too?
2)Japan schools should have water coolers too right? But do they call them water coolers too?
3)What do students do on their first day of school? Like, do they have to bring all their books and stuff?
4)What time is thei lunch break? And during that period, where are the teachers and can students from other classes join a differnt class for lunch?
5)I heard that Japan Senior High Schools start around April 8th or 9th. But if that is so, I do not understand why in 'Fruits Basket' (anime), the students can celebrate Valentines Day which is on the 14th of Feb!!!
6) After graduating, what would happen next? Will the students get a job or something?

Please answer my questions!
Thank you very much ad sorry for the load of questions! ^^;

NOTE: Uco-san, thank you for answering my previous questions!
by Rae  

... 2007/10/29 18:57
1)What is 'Boy's Home'?

2)What are "water coolers"? A box that provides chilled drinking water? If so, actually my son's private senior high school doesn't have them. At most senior high schools, there are vending machines selling drinks including bottled water, and students prefer to drink from that. Otherwise, if there is a cafeteria, there is something like a water-cooler. I can't recall calling it by any special name though. Otherwise, they are free to brink a thermos from home.

3)What do students do on their first day of school? On the very first day for a Freshman? They only have a ceremony. Usually the same for the first day of a new semester (term).

As for books, in Japan, text books are renewed every school year. For example, this year's Freshmen's books cannot be used for next year's Freshmen, and this year's Freshmen will be provided new text books when they step up to a new year. I think most students bring only the books they need for that day's class. But there are 6 classes a day, so depending on your schedule, you end up bringing loads of books (often plus their lunch and their club activity tools).

4)The lunch break typically starts around 12:30pm and lasts for about 50 minutes. I think that in most schools, students are free to eat anywhere inside the school, which will typically be a bench outside or a lounge or cafeteria where they will join those from other classes, or their own classroom. Teachers eat seperately.

5) Why can't students celebrate Feb 14th if school starts in April? You didn't think we have vacation during January to April all the way, did you?! Please refer to the answers on your previous question for more details on annual schedules.

6) After graduating, the students are expected to get a job or higher education which would typically be a technical college or a university. Of course, not all students are successful on doing that.

Rae, if you have any further questions on the same issue, you should click "post" and add a message to the same thread, so that it will be easier for people to know the history of this question. For reference, your previous question is as follows;
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+41944
by Uco rate this post as useful

. 2007/10/29 19:28
boy's home is sort of a temporary home for teen delinquents(males). inside there, they would have to stick by a very strict regime. such as curfews, etc...
by geraldine rate this post as useful

kanbetsusho? 2007/10/29 22:55
If "Boy's Home" is a place where juveniles who committed minor crime spend a few weeks to be examined and provided counsceling, then that would be "kanbetsusho", and it is for those who are 15 years old or younger.

From what I understand, this is different from "shonenin" where boys 15 and younger who committed a more serious crime spend a few years to be straightened out.

There is a girls' version and a boys' version for each.

Oh okay. 2007/10/30 18:53
I'm sorry about the posting thing! It's because I'm new to this thing and I wasn't sure if you'd get my questions...

Sorry or the inconvinence caused!

Thank you very very much for all the answers you have provided but I still do not understand the 'term' and 'schedues' thingy!
I really do not understand!
Do you think it's possible if you could simplified what you meant in the 1st answer? (the one in the link)

"Why can't students celebrate Feb 14th if school starts in April? You didn't think we have vacation during January to April all the way, did you?! Please refer to the answers on your previous question for more details on annual schedules."
(Do not understand!!!)

For the Boys Home thingy: Okay. So it's 15 and below? In Singapore it's 18 and below.
Does that also mean that those boys who commited offences when they are 16 abd above, they would go to a normal prison?
by Rae rate this post as useful

Terms in Japanese Senior Highs 2007/10/30 22:01
Terms (or in other words "semesters") in Japanese Senior Highs

Schedules vary depending on the school, but here are 2 typical examples;

Example-1
1st Term (go to school): Apr 8 to Jul 19
Summer Vacation: Jul 20 to Aug 31
2nd Term (go to school): Sep 1 to Dec 22
Winter Vacation: Dec 23 to Jan 8 of the year after
3rd Term (go to school): Jan 9 to Mar 19
Spring Vacation Mar 20 to Apr 7

Example-2
1st Term: Apr 8 to Oct 15
2nd Term: Oct 15 to Mar 19 of the year after
(Vacations come on similar dates as Example 1)

As you can see, in Example-1, Feb 14 is right in the middle of the 3rd term, and in Example-2 it is in the middle of the 2nd term. Students will be attending school as usual.

Clear? If not, try drawing marks or lines in an actual calendar. Or maybe it is me that do not understand your question.

"Does that also mean that those boys who commited offences when they are 16 abd above, they would go to a normal prison?"

Actually, there is another facility categorised as "shonen-keimusho (boy's prison)" in which criminals who are 19 years or younger are inprisoned. But a quick Wikipedia check tells me that, in reality criminals up to 25 years old or sometimes even older are inprisoned in this type of facility. Wikipedia also tells me that in shonenin, those up to 22 years old can stay, meaning that if you enter the prison before 16, you can stay for 6 years.

Note that in Japan, senior high school is not compulsary education (the law does not for you to go to school after junior high). So it is very unlikely that typical senior highs bother to welcome those who have spent some years in shonenin or shonen-keimusho. They would be welcome at a few limited schools.

correction 2007/10/30 22:20
Incorrect:
senior high school is not compulsary education (the law does not for you to go to school after junior high).

Correct:
senior high school is not compulsary education (the law does not force you to go to school after junior high).

Sorry for the typo.

Ok... 2007/11/2 18:30
...that helped ALOT!
And I sort of understand now.
So if a new student happens to join suddenly, is it possible for him/her to join in January?

I was also wondering...where would the students go when they reach the school.
The classroom?
And when would the teacher come in?
About what time would they sing the national anthem and stuff?

transfering and morning rituals 2007/11/2 21:39
"So if a new student happens to join suddenly, is it possible for him/her to join in January?"

Yes, it is "possible". But that's another story: Since senior high is not compulsory education, not all schools accept students to join (to be transfered) later than the others, and even if they do accept that, transference exams are often done only once or twice a year, and you often have to have a good reason such as having your residence moved from far away due to your parent's job. Schools that accept new students all year round with no special reason are extremely limited.

"I was also wondering...where would the students go when they reach the school."

At most schools, students go to the homeroom classroom right away (and before that they change their shoes at their shoes case). For example, if students need to show up by 8:30, the homeroom teacher will come to the classroom by then and start the roll call at 8:30 sharp to see if everyone has arrived.

"About what time would they sing the national anthem and stuff?"

You don't sing the national anthem every day. At a lot of schools there is a morning assembly at the auditorium several times a month, if that's what you're asking.

At the assembly, students might listen to the principals speech or some special notices, but usually there are no singing. For example, at Christian schools (which are all private schools), they hold morning services every moring and students will sing hymns, but that doesn't happen at other schools.

As far as our national anthem "Kimi Ga Yo" is concerned, it is typically sung only upon the entrance ceremony and the graduation ceremony.

On a related note, a lot of Japanese people refuse to sing the "Kimi Ga Yo" as they believe it was the song that led people to sacrifice themselves and to invade others during WW2. Others honor the song believing that people should be proud of their country.

In the recent years, the government has been forcing public schools to sing "Kimi Ga Yo" upon the two ceremonies, and teachers who refused have been punished by law. So now there are those who refuse to sing due to the war issue, those who refuse to sing as a demonstration against the recent law enforcement, those who hesitate to sing 'cause everyone's not singing together, and those who are proud to sing it.

If you watch international sports events on TV carefully, you may notice that a lot of Japanese athletes are not moving their mouths when our anthem is being sung.

wow. 2007/11/2 23:18
woah. the national anthem part was interesting. so many varying reactions to just one song.

i have mastered the art of lip-singing(sp?) to the national anthem so much so that sometimes when i try to sing the song, no voice comes out. =.="
by geraldine rate this post as useful

Woah 2007/11/3 16:17
that is really interesting!
So before the teachers come into the classroom, wad would the students be doing?
Goofing off, and chatting with their friends and stuff?

Also, is there a nickname related to the term of 'Weirdo' ?

Interested 2007/11/3 17:04
The talk about new students has occured a thought.
What do new students say when they are welcomed into the class?
Something like :"I am new here, so please help me along." ? or something like that?
by flower rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/4 00:12
"So before the teachers come into the classroom, wad would the students be doing?
Goofing off, and chatting with their friends and stuff?"

Generally, yes.

"is there a nickname related to the term of 'Weirdo' ?"

"Weirdo" in Japanese is "henjin".

"What do new students say when they are welcomed into the class? Something like :'I am new here, so please help me along.' ? or something like that?"

I suppose so.

How many? 2007/11/5 18:35
How many syudents are theere in one class?
by Numbers do matter rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/5 18:40
Usually 40 but that number can vary, for example, if kids drop out or homeroom classes are rearranged.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

number of students per class 2007/11/5 18:59
In senior high school, the maximum number of students per class should be 40. This is due to the regulations stated by the Ministry of Education.

The students are usually evened, so for example if there are a total of 110 students in one grade (year), usually Class A will have 37 students, Class B will have 37 students and Class C will have 38 students. Even if many students drop out during the term, usually, classes will not be re-arranged until the next school year which begins in April.

Also, in a lot of senior highs there is a special class for those who are especially skilled. Plus, usually by the second year, the students will be sorted out to two or three courses, typically "science and math" course and "literature and social studies" course. So due to these sortings, the number of students per class may greatly vary.

By the way, please note that my understanding is that this whole thread is about the _current_ senior high schools in Japan. For example, 20 years ago, typical high schools were a bit different.

What to they eat? 2007/11/6 15:19
for breakfast?
This isn't a question related to high school or such but im still interested in knowing about the foods Japanese ppl eat for breakfastm lunh and dinner.
by yumyum rate this post as useful

reply to this thread