Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Volunteery service in a church? 2007/11/1 05:37
I'm a German girl and after graduation in 2 years, I'd like to go to Japan for a year to do a volunteery service in a protestant church.
Unfortunatly I couldn't find a organisation that offers that thing up until now and I am getting kind of desperate^^
Does any of you know a organisation or a person who did this kind of thing?
Thanks in advance,
Lisa
by Lisa  

more details please 2007/11/1 12:01
Almost every church welcomes volunteers (of course). It's just that a lot of them don't do it systematically. What kind of work are you hoping to do and at what part of Japan? Must it be a church? What type of visa status do you plan to come by? How good is your Japanese?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Details 2007/11/1 23:48
I have no preferences concering where in Japan I'd like to be. Maybe near/in Toyama since my penpal lives there and I'd like to visit her some time.
I rather like to work in a church since I like to work with kids and teens. I think I couldn't work in a hospital and in a church I can be sure that I have at least one thing that is similar to home(I imagine I will be a bit homesick).
I am learning Japanese for 2 years now. My Japanese teacher said that one of her students with 2 years Japanese went to a High school in Japan and was fluent afterwards.
I'd like to go there with some kind of organisation since I wouldn't have so many problems concerning visa,insurance,... and my mum will be able to sleep calmer.
I think the kind of visa depends of what things I will do in Japan(maybe a intership visum?).

by Lisa rate this post as useful

official website 2007/11/2 11:45
Lisa, you say you're hoping to come after graduation. By that, you mean you will be about 18, correct? If not, your chances will be limited to coming here as an exchange student.

Now, so are you saying you want to be surrounded by Christianity? Because there are a lot of voluntary organization that involve children. YMCA is a typical example.

Anyway here is the official website of the Japan Evangelical Lutheran Church. Why not contact them for starters?
http://www.jelc.or.jp/e-index.html

If you prefer a different sect, just tell us and someone may be able to look up the official page from the Japanese Wikipedia link.

Otherwise, you can try contacting a YMCA or any city hall in Japan to find out more about other non-church organizations.

Either way though, I'm not really sure if it's that easy to get a year worth visa solely for a voluntary job at a church. Typically, most people live here as students or employees and do voluntary work in their free time. Also, I'm not sure why you compare churches with hostpitals. The two are very different. Churches in Japan do not cure the sick.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re 2007/11/3 00:22
I will be 19 after graduation.
The other things have something to do with the Germany system of the gap year.
For young adults here is the possibility to spend a year after school as a FSJ.
This is a official thing and the organisations have to look after the volunteer with courses, insurance and other things. Young men also could do a FSJ instead of the compulsory military service.
And in a FSJ you work in some sort of social instituion e.g. hospital, kindergarten, psychiatric clinc or a church.
So I connect the volunteery service with both churches and hospitals.
I would like to work as a Au Pair as well, but the last time I looked, I only found 2 Japanese families, and unfortuatly there are at a short notice, so I can't plan beforehand.
Evangelic is exactly the kind I've been looking for, thanks for the link!
by Lisa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread