Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

tattoo translation 2007/11/8 11:21
Hi, my friend wants to get a tatto in japanese(lame, i know). He wants to use the phrase "no fear" . Will someone please help in translating that. He thinks its a form of 恐れ無し but wants to be sure before he gets it and it means something else. thanks!
by japan_newb  

Tattoo 2007/11/8 14:25
Newb,

Yep, the Japanese is correct. But do be sure to get it done in MS Mincho font, preferably with one or two characters inexplicably inverted and with strokes missing. ;-)
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/8 14:34
Anyone who wants kanji tattooed on his body should visit this site first:
http://www.hanzismatter.com/

I don't think any of you want to get something that makes you a laughing stock or gives you stares from native speakers on your body which would remain almost permanently...
by . rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/8 17:45
I agree with the other posters :)
Please note that 恐れ無し is *literally* "no fear," but it does not really come across as anything cool in Japanese... it simply is a plain sentence saying "There is no fear." Some things simply don't translate well, some take on different nuances when translated literally, some don't carry the "coolness" there is in one language into another... IMHO, getting "No fear" in ENGLISH in beautiful script style is far better than getting 恐れ無し in boring, print-style font. Well, but it's up to your friend to do it :)
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

>Newb 2007/11/9 00:05
I think that it is "怖い物無し" that the meaning is near "no fear".

The meaning looks like "無敵" (invincibility)
by ex2white rate this post as useful

Sorry 2007/11/9 00:47
I'm sorry.
It was not "怖い物無し" but it was "怖い物知らず".
by ex2white rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/9 08:16
Thanks for the replies! I'm trying to convince him otherwise, but its his body...meh. Anyway great feedback and helpful :)
by japan_newb rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/9 10:21
To me (I'm Japanese) anything with hiragana such as 恐れ無し, 怖い物知らず look rather funny and strange as tattoo, not cool at all.

They are grammatically correct but it's different when it comes to tats.

I'd like to second "無敵" (invincibility) that ex2white suggested.
by . rate this post as useful

Chinese Tattoo 2007/11/11 16:53
Now you have the translation you can get some nice script style here:
http://www.chinese-tools.com/tattoo
by Willy rate this post as useful

Ha! 2007/11/12 09:57
I think "style 4" in Chinese Calligraphy Editor would be ideal for a tattoo. Just kidding!
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread