Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How Would I Say... 2007/11/10 04:47
Hello All! Genki?

I'm currently writing and e-mail to my japanese friend and i was just wondering how i'd go about saying..

"I hope you have a good day!"

or "Have a nice day"

and the last request.

how would i say a bit tongue in cheek "don't work yourself to hard!"

Thanks alot!

Loren-Paul
by Loren-Paul  

Japanese 2007/11/12 13:28
Those are all set phrases in English which are not commonly used in communication between Japanese people. "Have a nice day" translates to "yoi ichinichi o" but I rarely hear people in Japan say this.

Also the idea of not working too hard is kind of foreign to Japanese people. In situations where I would use that phrase, Japanese people usually say "Gambatte ne", (try hard) and sometimes add "karada ki o tsukete ne" meaning to take care of myself and not over do it.

Direct translations of phrases we would use in English don't alwayse seem to work in Japanese, and vice versa.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/12 13:33
I occasionally do say to my friends (who I know work very hard, often too hard): "Hataraki suginaide ne!" (Litelly, "don't overwork, right?) in a humorous way :)

hataraku = to work
hataraki sugiru = to overwork/work too hard
hataraki suginai = not to overwork
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

translation 2007/12/9 13:33
"Don't work yourself too hard!"
Yes, definitely the Japanese wouldn't say that to other people. This tendency derives from our indigenous Shinto religion. We feel gratitude towards gods, nature and all the things given to us, including work. To work is to render service to society.
So, if you want to say to people not to work too hard, please just say, 'Oshigoto taihen desune, demo ganbatte
kudasai."and "Karadani ki o tsukete kudasai"
by mamiko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread