Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

6 days in Hokkaido - Need advice 2007/11/10 21:42
I am from Singapore and am now planning for 6 day holiday in Hokkaido arriving in Hakodate by JR Rail from Tokyo. I am travelling as a family of 4 and will be in Hokkaido from Dec 8 to Dec 14 2007. I am planning to buy a 14 day JR Rail Pass which will include on onward 7 day stay in Tokyo.

I would appreciate any advice on the following:

1. Which cities in Hokkaido should I stay that would make the best use of my 6 days?
2. Is it advisable to drive in Hokkaido during this December period?
3. Is the JR Rail network comprehensive and convenient enough to enjoy Hokkaido?
4. I am an avid photographer and taking travel photos is my priority. What are the places and sights that I should not miss?

Thanks in advance for your replies and assistance.
by Yong  

Quick question 2007/11/13 10:40
What kind of photos are you looking to take: towns? People? Landscape? Birds and wildlife?

Knowing this will make advice more specific.

Anyway, 6 days is comfortable for a loop of Sthn Hokkaido, going N as far as Sapporo and Otaru. I will be interested in seeing if anyone cares to suggest you go to Furano or Biei.

Or, if particular wildlife or landscape interest you, you could do the long train transit to Kushiro and back (abt 8 hrs from Hakodate, changing at Sapporo) and focus on that area.

But in general you should find enoug to explore in that southern sector, which after all has volcanoes, coastline, cities, some historic buildings and two crater lakes.
by Ian rate this post as useful

,,, and ..! 2007/11/13 10:42
.. and Ainu life, and hot springs.

And (except for the lakes) you can do it all by train.

Hokkaido in 6 Days 2007/11/13 21:03
Thanks for your replies.

I am more inclined towards wildlife and landscape photography.

Based on Ian's suggestions I did some research on Kushiro and Otaru. Kushiro looks a bit far on the map. Otaru looks promising. I am planning to stay 3 nights in Sapporo using it as my base in the central region. Is it possible do a day trip to Otaru from Saporo?

Also is Lake Toya worth a visit?
by Yong rate this post as useful

6 days in Hokkaido - Need advice 2007/11/13 21:03
Thanks for your replies.

I am more inclined towards wildlife and landscape photography.

Based on Ian's suggestions I did some research on Kushiro and Otaru. Kushiro looks a bit far on the map. Otaru looks promising. I am planning to stay 3 nights in Sapporo using it as my base in the central region. Is it possible do a day trip to Otaru from Saporo?

Also is Lake Toya worth a visit?
by Yong rate this post as useful

Biei 2007/11/14 02:06
Yes I will be the one to suggest Biei. It is practically dead during winter but just do a search and you'll know how beautiful Biei is in that season. Since you are an avid photographer, you may be keen to know that many pictures of Biei has been voted or awarded prizes/status by the Flickr community.
by Nana rate this post as useful

nice places 2007/11/14 07:53
I have not been to Biei myself, but it does look interesting and low-key peaceful.

I also haven't spent much time at Toya, just sped through. I do know L Shikotsu, which is certainly low key. To me its beauty is all about the light over the lake, which changes all the time. I have seen deer and serow (kamoshika) wandering on surrounding hike trails in late autumn, and you might still find some bird life in the woods on the W shore of the lake.

But perhaps L Toya is more acccessible - a short bus from Toya Stn?

Otaru is easily accessed from Sapporo - less than an hour away. It can be nice but like many Japanese cities requires some careful investigation. There are three towns in one: an ordinary bland Japanese town, a cluster of touristic sites, and a lot of nice corners sprinkled throughout. It is worth going high up to look over the town in its setting. It makes a nice 'bookend' set with Hakodate, a place I really like.

As for Sapporo as a base, I am no expert but the only other feasible day trip that I know is to the highly developed onsen of Jozankei, great for bathing but less so for looking around. I am not sure what else is accessible in day trips. Of course, Sapporo itself has its attractions.

I haven't been to Matsumae, the castle site near the southern tip of Hokkaido, but the tourist literature I have seen of that area makes it look attractive.

I have been to the Ainu 'town' (it is a reconstruction) at Shiraoi. I have mixed feelings about the treatment of an aboriginal culture in Japan, but overall I still think Shiraoi is worthwhile. At the very least it does get the message across that there was a different civilization here before the coming of the mainland Japanese. And I think Ainu aesthetics are fine, esp in clothing and textiles.

Onuma, a little north of Hakodate, might be worth your consideration, too. Got photo oppps for dramatically-shaped mountain reflected in lake water.

And for mountain proifiles. the area around Niseko.

reply to this thread