Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Reentry Permit 2007/11/11 22:34
Hello,

I have a query regarding Re-entry permits. My partner and I are
travelling to Thailand for a week this month, then returning to Japan.
However we are then leaving for NZ permanently one day later.

We currently have working visas which expire in March. Is it necessary
for us to obtain a re-entry permit, given that our return will only
last one day? Or can we leave Japan and effectively end our visas when
we go to Thailand, and then use a tourist visa for the one night we
spend back in Japan? The second option would save us a few thousand
yen, which is a lot for us after being caught up in the Nova drama.

Thanks for your help,

Daniel Hight
by Daniel Hight  

Re-entry permit 2007/11/12 22:48
Daniel,

If the purpose of your (one-day) visit on returning from Thailand is purely sightseeing, then you don't need to get a re-entry permit beforehand. As you say it would be a waste of 3,000 yen for each of you (plus the hassle of going to the Immigration office to get it).
When leaving Narita for Thailand, the immigration clerk will probably ask why you haven't got a re-entry permit despite having a valid visa, but it would probably be easiest just to say that you won't be coming back. On arriving back at Narita, they may possibly ask why you are back in the country, but all you need to do is show your tickets out of the country the next day.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/11/13 00:21
Cheers for your help, saved us a lot of time and money
by Daniel Hight rate this post as useful

not needed 2007/11/13 08:36
I agree with Dave- save youself the money. Hope everything works out for you after being caught up in the Nova debacle- that must have been tough.
by Sira rate this post as useful

why? 2007/11/13 16:03
Why do you need to come back into Japan for one day?
Is it to finalise details such as bank accounts, personal belongings, etc??

What will be the impact if you can't get back in??
by Sandy rate this post as useful

Long story! 2007/11/13 17:03
Its a long story, but essentially we booked a holiday in Thailand long before the Nova debacle happened. The only reason we stayed in Japan until now was to go on our holiday. It turned out to be cheaper to fly home to NZ from Narita rather than cancel our return flight from Thailand. We are staying in a hotel in Narita for the one night, and will probably sleep the whole time!
by Daniel Hight rate this post as useful

reply to this thread