Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Name in Kanji 2007/11/14 15:05
I read in another post that you can put together your own kanji. How would I do this?

The question is at this link:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+42624
by Chi  

Converting western names... 2007/11/14 22:17
What is done often is the non-Japanese names are first written out by how it's pronounced; so for the name "Jamie," it would be pronounced by Japanese as "je-i-mi." And for each of the sounds, "je," "i," and "mi," kanji that has the same (or closest) sound AND pleasant meaning/meaning that you like is arbitrarily selected and assigned.

So there is no ONE correct way to convert your non-Japanese name into kanji - but if you WANT TO, you could make up a string of kanji that has the same (or similar) sounds to with your name, and with meanings that you like.
by AK rate this post as useful

Domo Arigatou Gozaimasu! 2007/11/15 00:23
I understand now! Arigatou gozaimasu! Do you know of any website where I can find kanji to write my western name in?
by Chi rate this post as useful

hi Chi san! 2007/11/15 19:08
let me know your westrn name.
then i'll write several kanji and meanings. u can choose by yourself.
by tamaki in Frankfurt rate this post as useful

Help me too!! 2007/12/19 15:38
I have been searching so many sites for my hubbys name in kanji & am not having much luck......can anyone help????
by Julie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread