Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Koyasan to Hongu 2007/11/19 02:14
I am planning to go from Osaka or Nara to Koyasan, and from there was wondering what it would take to get to Hongu. I will have to take trains or buses as I don't have an international driver's license. From what I can tell, the only train line (JR Kinokuni) runs around the coast of Kii-Hanto; is this the only way to access Hongu? Thank you much for any advice.
by lauren  

Try this site 2007/11/19 13:01
by Ken rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/20 10:50
There is a bus connection between Koyasan and Shirahama, but it is complicated, infrequent and does not operate in winter.

There is also a bus connection between Gojo (near Koyasan) and Shingu, but it is infrequent and takes 5 hours (plus the time to get to Gojo).

By train, the easiest route is via Wakayama City. It also takes more than 5 hours.
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks Ken and Uji 2007/11/20 19:01
looks like it might be more trouble than it is worth. Are there no local buses that run during the winter? I will be in Koyasan in mid. Feb and found a route to Hongu that combines train and bus travel, but if all bus lines stop during this time that won't help me any. Thanks for the help.
by lauren rate this post as useful

Taxi? 2007/11/20 21:38
I am guessing that a taxi might do it for around Y10,000. That is a quiet time for them. For 2 people that becomes reasonable. It is a beautiful road.

Do you speak Japanese or have a friend who could make a call, perhaps via Koyasan TIC?

Also, note that without a car in Hongu it is harder to see surrounding sites like Yunomine onsen. Not impossible, but slower.
by Tamaki rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/21 08:27
Are there no local buses that run during the winter?

Yes, most local buses run during winter! One exception is part of the bus connection between Koyasan and Shirahama, which does not run from December through March.

The buses between Gojo and Shingu are running in winter, but it is likely to be faster (but more expensive) to go by train via Wakayama.

... 2007/11/21 09:55
Isn't there a bus that connects Koya to Ryujin onsen, about 60 0r 70 kms more or less due south? That would at least get her in to the zone.

There is probably another bus from Ryujin Onsen straight to Hongu.

I am just guessing ...
by Tamaki rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/21 16:34
Isn't there a bus that connects Koya to Ryujin onsen,

Yes, exactly. That is the one that does not seem to operate in winter.

thank you Tamaki and Uji 2007/11/22 17:47
I had not considered a taxi, and you're right with 2 people traveling that might be reasonable, and a more direct route.

however the only reason for going to Hongu is the surrounding onsen, and we wouldn't have a whole lot of time to spend there so being at the mercy of infrequent local buses might be a serious setback.

thanks for the advice! on a map Hongu looks so accessible from Koyasan,and the Sennin Buro sounds so nice! But I forgot there are mountains in the way and it's off season. I will give the TIC a call though, not quite ready to give up yet...
by lauren rate this post as useful

reply to this thread