Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

5 day itineary? Is this doable? 2007/11/20 00:07
I reach Tokyo at 5:00 PM on Dec 7th and leave Tokyo on Dec 12th and 6:00 PM and so have 4 - 5 days. My proposed itinerary is:

Dec 7th: Reach hotel by 8:00 PM. Cannot do much?

Dec 8: See Tokyo

Dec 9: Take bullet Train early morning to Kyoto. (Earliest train??) Check in a Kyoto hotel with hot spring. See part of Kyoto

Dec 10: See Kyoto (Gold pavilion, Nara, Fushimi, Arashiyama, Kinkakuji, Ginkakuji, Philosopher's Path and Kiyomizudera Temple)

Dec 11: See Kyoto and leave for Tokyo by evening

Dec 12: See Tokyo in the morning. Head to Airport by 4:00.

Will this give me enough time to do justice to Tokyo and Kyoto?

I think this gives me 2.5 days in Kyoto and only 1.5 days in Tokyo?

This is my first trip to Japan.
by Confused  

... 2007/11/20 10:25
With that limited time, it is obvious that you won't be able to see@the cities in great detail.

Whether it is worth it or not depends on your personal opinion! Some people do not mind covering Kyoto in a day trip, while others won't bother visiting the city if they don't have at least a week to spend there.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2007/11/20 13:55
there is no way that you can do all that you have planned in Kyoto! to see the Fushimi Inari shrine takes at least 2 hrs plus travelling time and that is only if you see the start of the walkway under toriis and turn back after 40 minutes..Going up the mountain then back takes 3 hrs a a bare minimum but is fascinating. Nara is a 4 hrs trip at least and this is by seeing only the bare minimum. same with Arashiyama. Kiomizu Dera and the streets around it are another 2- 3 hrs etc .etc.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Tokyo and Kyoto 2007/11/20 16:11
Dec 9 first nozomi shinkansen lv Tokyo 06.00 h arrive Kyoto 08.11, too early to check in ryokan, so luggage storage only, then full day for Kyoto, back to ryokan at 18.00 h . Check with ryokan because of fixed dinner times.
Dec 10 full day for Kyoto
Dec 11 full day for Kyoto , lv 18.06 by nozomi shinkansen arrive Tokyo 20.30 h
So this means you have 3 full days sightseeing and so your program is doable for a fast traveller. But as mentioned Fushimi Inari Shrine although only 5 min train ride from Kyoto it is time consuming because of size and mountain walk. You will need one of the three days in Kyoto for Fushimi and Nara ( 45 min train ride one way )
by Peter rate this post as useful

reply to this thread