Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

how would you react? 2007/11/20 02:26
Hello everyone,

I was wondering..
If your friend asked (after knowing each other for a bit)for you to call her xxchan,and obviously you use it.Then,if you used her surname+san all of a sudden,then how would they view it?would they think you were angry with them since you use such a distant name all of a sudden?or would they be confused?Soemthing else?
thanks to any info~~
by ***  

Me? 2007/11/20 10:22
Shirley,

how would they view it?would they think you were angry with them since you use such a distant name all of a sudden?

Quite possibly. What other reason would there be for suddenly switching to a much more formal/distant form of address?

or would they be confused?

Quite likely.

Soemthing else?

Depends on the person, Shirley.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Hai, so desu 2007/11/21 01:47
First name plus chan, kun or san between friends is friendly.

When you switch to a surname, it is like suddenly calling your friend Mr. XXXX or Miss. XXXX.

If you are in the work place or if introducing them to somone in a formal or professional setting, I can see you using the surname, otherwise I can see them getting funky about it.

Call her chan, it is what she asked you to do anyway.

Tenshi
by Tenshi rate this post as useful

joke 2007/11/21 14:53
I would think it's a joke. It happens all the time.
by Uco, Japanese rate this post as useful

reply to this thread