Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiking in Okinawa and islands 2007/11/20 17:37
I am thinking of going there for a couple of weeks, and I love hiking along trails - hills, coasts, lookouts.

I have some general maps, and I will do the homework. But I am looking for recommendations to get me started.

Not only Okinawa main island but any others between Kagoshima and Taiwan. (NB: I already know about Yakushima)
by Tamaki  

... 2007/11/21 10:05
There's some good hiking (and onsen) in Kirishima National Park in Kagoshima. Just got back from a trip there last week.

I'd try hiking from Ebinokogen up to the top of Karakuni and then over to Takachiho where the gods first decended into Japan. On the way you'll pass Shinmoedake which is the site of Blofeld's volcano lair in the James Bond Movie "You Only Live Twice".

And as you already know about Yakushima, I'll just say that that was some of the most beautiful hiking I've done in Japan. My favorite was Mononokehimenomori which was the inspiration for the forests in the Studio Ghibli movie "Princess Mononoke".
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Good stuff 2007/11/21 10:40
- although my primary interest in further south. But I will get to Ebino Kogen one of these days.

re the Mononokehime-inspiring forest. Wasn't that Shirakami Sanchi in Aomori/Akita? That was what I was told when I was there a month ago.

I will watch the film again, and try to work out if the trees are beech, pine or cedar. (I may be a tree otaku.)

Anyway, island hike stories, anyone?
by Tamaki rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/21 11:06
Actually from what I understand, the forests were inspired by Yakushima but the mountains were inspired by Shirakami Sanchi. So I guess its a combination of both.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thanks for advice so far 2007/11/24 22:12
I thought I might refresh this query over the weekend.

But if no responses, I will look elsewhere.
by Tamaki rate this post as useful

Kirishima National Park 2008/7/10 08:26
Kirishima National Park is a good experience. Was down there about ten years ago with a film camera and got some great shots. Can't wait to go back with my new digital equipment.

http://blogg.ingina.com or http://kirt.us.com
by Kirt Cathey rate this post as useful

reply to this thread