Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel from Kawayu to Abashiri & Kushiro 2007/11/22 20:21
I am travelling to Hokkaido from 08/02/08.

I am staying at the Kussharo-Genya Youth Guesthouse (Mashu station) and plan to use this as a base to visit Abashiri and Kushiro by making day trips.

Can anyone provide me some directions on what buses / trains to take from Mashu station to Abashiri?

Will also like to know what buses / trains to take from Mashu to Kushiro?

Any information and bus and/or train timetables will be most useful.

Thanks for your help in advance.
by Vivien  

... 2007/11/22 23:00
Kawayu is located along the JR Senmo Line, which connects Kushiro with Abashiri, however, trains are infrequent. You can look up the timetable here:
http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/norikae/
by Uji rate this post as useful

So will Mashu still be a good base? 2007/11/23 11:47
Hi,

So will Mashu still be a good base?

If not, do you have any other recommendation to see Kushiro and Abashiri?

My itineary is currently as follows:

08-10 Feb: Sapporo / Otaru
11-13 Feb: Noboribetsu
14-16 Feb: Sounkyn
17-21 Feb: Mashu / Kussharo

I am deciding whether to catch the plane back to Tokyo from Abashiri or from Sapporo. Any advice?

My connecting flight from Tokyo is at Narita 5.30pm.

Thanks.
by Vivien rate this post as useful

... 2007/11/23 12:01
If you look up the timetables on the site I gave you, you will see that it takes about 1.5 hours to get from Mashu to Kushiro. And about 2 hours to get to Abashiri. So, it seems to be possible to visit these two cities in day trips.

Note that Mashu Station is located somewhat apart from the tourist sites of Akan National Park. Kawayu Onsen, about 10 km north of Mashu, might be a more pleasant town to stay.

I am deciding whether to catch the plane back to Tokyo from Abashiri or from Sapporo. Any advice?

I recommend the following route:

Tokyo - (air) - Sapporo Airport (Shin-Chitose Airport) - (bus) - Noboribetsu - (bus) - Sapporo (with side trip to Otaru) - (train and bus) - Sounkyo - (bus and train) - Abashiri - (train) - Kawayu - (train) - Kushiro - (bus) - Kushiro Airport - (air) - Tokyo
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks... 2007/11/23 12:58
Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I will consider changing my itineary.

Do you have any recommendation of any accommodation in Kushiro and Abashiri? I am looking for something very affordable like maybe 5000 - 7000 yen per person.

Thanks.

.... 2007/11/23 13:30
We always stay at Kushiro Tokyu Inn. It is convenient,just opposite the station, and the room is clean. The room rate for single may be slightly over 7000 yens now. There are many nice small hotels, which are further away from the station but still within the walking distance. As for Abashiri, we normally stayed at the Route Inn Abashiri. Again it is just opposite the station. It comes with nice simple breakfast and the inn has a hot bath ( not natural hot spring ) for the clients. It is a clean and nice little hotel.
Have a nice trip!
by tju rate this post as useful

Catching the cranes at Kushiro 2007/11/23 14:38
Thanks Tju. I intend to catch the cranes at Kushiro. As I will be travelling in Feb, would you have any idea of how to get to the Marshlands (I assume this is the only place to catch the cranes)?

And are there any other interesting places to visit at Kushiro as I am wondering how many days I should be staying there.

I still intend to visit Kawayu, Kussharo area. I am intending to stay at either the Kussharo-Genya Youth Hostel or at Nibushi which is on the shores of Kussharo-ko. Will you know whether either of these places are convenient to visit Kawayu Onsen?

I tried looking at accommodation at Kawayu Onsen and most of them are only in Japanese so I did not manage to find anything.

Thanks.

..... 2007/11/23 16:07
I guess you can see the bird along one of the few viewing stations along the Senmo line running from Kushiro to Shiretoko Shari station. There is also a sight-seeing train in the winter plying along the same route.

Wasyo morning fish market in Kusihro, which is just a stone throw away from the staion is worth visitng if you like the seafoods. It has one of the freshest sashimi I ever tasted. MON is another slightly bigger shopping area near the waterfront, which is about ten minutes walk from the station.

I would recommend a day trip to Nemuro's Cape Nossapu if you have time. From here, on a clear day, you can see Kunashiri-to, one of the disputed island. The train and bus schedules are well co-ordinated. This will give you enough time to catch the bus from Nemuro station to the Cape for a 30 minutes visit and back to the station again.

I am sorry I am not familiar with Kawayu and Kusharo areas.

Please note February/March is the high tourist season in Abashiri because of the drift ice from Sakhalin and Sea of Okhotsk. Most of the hotels in the area are fully booked well in advance. We had our hotel reservation booked thru a local agent five months before our trip!

Have a nice trip!

What to wear in Hokkaido 2007/11/25 21:58
Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I have also booked Tokyo Inn at Kushiro.

I wanted to find out from you if you will know what I need to wear in Hokkaido. I understand that the temperature in Hokkaido will be 0 and below during Feb so wondering what attire is appropriate.

Thanks.

... 2007/11/25 23:38
Just wear more layers of cloths - one T-shirt, one pull-over and a winter jacket. Pair of gloves, scarf, hat plus a good walking shoe are necessary to keep you warm outside. Don't overdressed because most of the department stores, hotels and trains are heated and it could be rather warm.
Have a nice trip!

What about shoes? 2007/11/27 01:54
I have been told that it is very easy to fall if we wear track shoes in winter because of the ice and snow on the ground.

Any recommendation on what shoes will be most appropriate? I will be bringing my mum along and wants to make sure she has the right shoes. Can't afford for her to fall.

reply to this thread