Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nintendo DS lite 2007/11/25 04:47
Okay I'm planning on getting a DS soon but I have a few questions.

Are they bilingual like ipods? Or is it only one language, so if I buy it in Japan it's only in Japanese?

If I buy it in Japan can I charge it in the states, or vice versa? Without a transformer. I know things like computers run fine on different voltage but I don't know about cheaper electronics.

Can I play both japanese and american games on it? Or are they "region coded".

FYI I live in Japan so I prefer to just buy it here, but most of the games I'm interested in are from the states.
by Kris  

Hmm 2007/11/25 10:26
Sorry I don't have a complete answer for you. What I do know is, my DS lite asked me what language I wanted when I first powered it on (had more options then just english or japanese) and I know of someone who has a JP Wii (not a DS but also a nintendo platform) who couldn't get his American copy of My Sims to play in English.
Hopefully someone with a real answer will come to your rescue soon.
by Tracy rate this post as useful

ds 2007/11/25 10:32
Would it play the game at all? or just not in english?
by Kris rate this post as useful

not english 2007/11/25 15:20
Yeah, it would play the game but only with Japanese text.
I've had many games with both sets of language data, but they've always given me a choice. Strange.
by Tracy rate this post as useful

s 2007/11/25 16:56
I can answer all your questions.

I recently bought one myself.

You can charge your card, but it depends on what store you go to. I'm assuming you're going to Tokyo, so if you go to Akihabara's Yodabashi Camera, you'll be able to get a DS, a few games and charge it on your card.

When you first turn on your DS, it will be initially in Japanese. But after you have your presets ready, you can change the language to English. Get a Japanese friend to help of course, if you can't read Japanese.

I'm pretty sure you can play American DS games without any problem, since it isn't a CD. The reason why I think this is also because my friend downloads DS games from the internet and saves them to a Mirco SD without any trouble. But of course, if you buy a game in Japan, it's going to be in Japanese.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

Something i noticed... 2007/11/25 19:01
My DS plays all the games (both Japanese and US)just fine (I have a US one) however, i was not able to download extras for my games (US games) while in Japan. It was due to the game, and not the system. Just be warned.
by Nika rate this post as useful

DS 2007/11/25 23:43
"My DS plays all the games (both Japanese and US)just fine (I have a US one) however, i was not able to download extras for my games (US games) while in Japan. It was due to the game, and not the system. Just be warned."

You mean it wont let you do it because you are using a Japanese IP address?
by Kris rate this post as useful

DS 2007/11/26 05:01
No. For example: we had the US version of Pokemon and the US system. We went to a download station to download extras for the game. We received an error message saying that it was not compatible with the US game only the Japanese games.
by Nika rate this post as useful

reply to this thread