Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

advice needed 2007/11/27 17:08

Will I have sufficient time to travel from Hakone to Nikko and cover the area around Nikko Station and Chuzenji Lake within a day? I will leave Hakone at 10am (check out time for ryokan). I will have to travel from Odawara to Asakusa and then take Tobu railway to Nikko. But I'm not too sure of the travelling time involved. The temples close at 5pm and I think it will be dark around that time so I have to cover the areas mentioned above by 5pm. Does anyone know of the estimated time taken to travel from Hakone to Nikko? Thanks.
by alhp  

... 2007/11/27 18:10
Will I have sufficient time to travel from Hakone to Nikko and cover the area around Nikko Station and Chuzenji Lake within a day?

You would have to leave Hakone much earlier. It takes about 6 hours to travel from your ryokan in Hakone to the Toshogu Shrine in Nikko via the planned route. Depending on the person, it takes 1-5 hours to see the shrines and temples in Nikko. Then it would take close to another hour to get to the lake. It is simply not practical!
by Uji rate this post as useful

Timetable 2007/11/28 04:03
You can search the timetable & course and fare in Japan.
English version is available.
Before use, pls have a look the CAUTION at the bottom of the top page.

http://www.hyperdia.com/
by Pon rate this post as useful

. 2007/11/28 07:43
As for train times, I found that hyperdia often gives bad advices, for instance on the Tobu Tojo line it wants me to take the local train first and switch to an express train at a later station all the time even though I could take the express train right from the beginning.
Try also using http://www.jorudan.co.jp/english/ and compare both results! Most of the time jorudan will give you a better result!

As for Nikko, you should leave from Hakone much much earlier if you at least want to cover the temple area in teh city on the same day. If you want to see the national park as well, you have to plan in two days!

Note that you can get the Nikko Free pass in the Asakusa Tobu station, this covers the train from and back to Tokyo as well as using the busses in and around Nikko for free. It's 4400 yen and only available to foreigners.
by Haf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread