Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Working without a degree? 2007/11/30 23:41
Hello,

I am hoping to go to Japan to learn Japanese next year and i was just wondering if there are any jobs in Japan that a English girl who doesn't speak any Japanese or doesn't have a degree can do so that i can fund my living costs. I can't do teaching because i would need a degree for that. Any help you can give me would be great!

Thank!
Clare x
by Clare Hough  

FAQ 2007/12/1 11:39
Clare,

Provided you have a valid visa, you can teach English at a language school or privately without a university degree. Having a degree is an Immigration requirement for getting a work visa, but if you are on a Working Holiday Visa or a Student visa, then it is not necessary. Of course, if you are on a student visa, then the hours you can work are pretty limited, so you should have sufficient funds with you when you go.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

as Dave in Saitama said 2007/12/1 12:48
it depends on what type of visa you are entering Japan.

If working holiday Visa then check this site out - http://www.jawhm.or.jp/eng/index.html and also Peppy Kids Club's website, they don't need a degree to work with them if you have a working holiday visa :) that's what i did and i only have to work 20 hours per week teaching kids and will have plenty of time to do other things I want :) plus they give you your own company apartment whilst working for them. THere is also WWOOF Japan check there website and boobooSKi but you need japanese language skills for boobooski and is limited to the winter season. ummm I can't remember the other one in Okinawa that they do booboo something lol but yea you should find it in the boobooSKI website anyway.

However, if on a student visa, that's a different story,I think you'll need to ask for special permission to be able to work, because it is outside your main duties as a student and can side-track you from your studies.

hmm yea well check those sights out but I suggest you come on a working holiday visa if you're not too serious about studying Japanese FULL on, anyway you'll have ample time to do so on a working holiday visa :)

good luck.

RJ

by RJ rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/1 21:23
I was in the same situation as you, i got a job as a nanny (au pair) there are many au pair websites out there but i think the amount of families in japan looking for a nanny is limited.

There is also jobs like working in bars/cafes (espeically roppongi because of all the foreigners) from what i have heard.

If you think you are up for it then there are jobs as models.

But like the other people that posted said, it depends on your visa. I got a working holiday visa which does not require sponsership

Hope that helps
by Alicia rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2007/12/1 21:52
Thanks so much everyone!

I think I might go on a working holiday visa then and just learn Japanese in my spare time. Thanks alot RJ i'll get in touch with the peppy kids club - that one seems like my best bet.

Thanks again everyone!

Clare x
by Clare Hough rate this post as useful

reply to this thread