Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Antique Samurai Sword 2007/12/2 11:23
Does anyone know of any Museums or places in Tokyo where I can marvel real antique Samurai Katanas (swords), especially those that are made by Masters hundreds of years ago. I want to focus on just Katanas and not hundreds of Pots and Bowls on multi levels Museums. Thanks.
by John Zee  

Swords 2007/12/2 12:22
Hi
4 years ago a friend took me to a museum in Shinjuku in an
apartment building. Had about
50 different types + other gear. I was impressed.
Try google swords museums Shinjuku and see what comes up. If nothing then ask me again to check my notes if I still have them.
Also this Oct I was in Ueno National museum and they have sword collection in museum there about room 11 or 13?. There was also a special show of national treasure's which included swords. The best I have seem!.
Good luck
Kiwi
by Kiwi rate this post as useful

National Museum Ueno Park 2007/12/2 16:47
There were lots of original katana on display in the National Museum in Ueno Park when I last visited.

For information on how to get there, see here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3019.html
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Re: National Museum Ueno Park 2007/12/2 17:00
Ah, intended to add but hit the submit button too early:
To see the most famous katana, you probably cannot get away from visiting museums that also display other historical treasures. Museums usually have maps so it is easy to skip that what doesn't interest you :-)
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Thanks for your replies 2007/12/3 02:32
Thanks for all your replies, I will get to National Museum then. I also Googled 2 shops:
Token Shibata (Swords)
Japan Sword Co.,Ltd
Anyone been there?
by John Zee rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/3 10:30
There is a specialized swords museum and shop mentioned in the Lonely Planet Tokyo Guide, but I currently don't have that book at hand. Maybe I can look it up later.
by Haf rate this post as useful

japansword.co.jp 2007/12/3 10:53
I have recently visited Nihon Token or Japan swords located near the Toranomon subway station. The place is worth visiting. They are displaying and selling real swords (over 800 year-old museum pieces too), newly made ones and replicas on all 3 floors. You can always visit there just to have a look at them. The staffs at the shop are happy to explain about the swords.
by mamiko rate this post as useful

Selling? 2007/12/3 14:52
You said that they sell 800 year old katanas?

I heard from a few sources that the Japanese government had heavily cracked down on that. This was because it was seen as removing Japanese heritage. And the fact that the katana is one in the same thing as it`s owner. (Soul in the blade). So the only way of getting antiques out of the country is to smuggle them.

You can take fakes and newly made katanas home with you but the waiting list for the real masters are years long and very expensive.

But good luck with your travels. Let us know where you got to. :)
by Adam rate this post as useful

Thanks guys for info 2007/12/3 15:22
I think its valid. i am not with the idea that any antique should leave its motherland. But will the shops let me touch, only from tsuba down on handle and feel the spirit? J
by John Zee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread