Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Train Reservations 2007/12/2 20:48
I'm a little confused as to reservations and how they work with JR Trains.

At first I thought it was just an option for different carriages or securing your seat, but I have been told that some of the lines require a reservation to get on. In particular, my trip from Kyoto to Sapporo this coming February. My questions are;

1) Which train lines require reservations, or how can I find out?

2) How do I make reservations? Is it necessary to make them in advance or am I safe to make them as I go (particularly for this trip to Sapporo during the Snow Fest)

3) Can I make reservations online or from my own country? Or do I have to wait until I get there?

Basically... Any and as much information as I can get on this topic. Thank you.
by Bill  

... 2007/12/3 10:30

Most don't, because they also have unreserved seat. But some do. Among the few JR trains requiring seat reservations are:

- Narita Express (Narita Airport - Tokyo)
- Hayate trains on the Tohoku Shinkansen (Tokyo - Hachinohe)
- Komachi trains on the Akita Shinkansen (Tokyo - Akita)
- Most overnight trains

In order to get from Tokyo to Sapporo, you will be using either night trains or the hayate shinkansen. So, you will have to make seat (or berth) reservations.

How do I make reservations?

At any JR ticket counter:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2016.html

Is it necessary to make them in advance or am I safe to make them as I go

There is a certain risk that trains get booked out. But usually they don't. Making a reservation one day in advance will almost always be no problem.

Can I make reservations online or from my own country?

You can make reservations online if you have an address in Japan. From outside of Japan, it is currently not possible.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Seat reservations 2007/12/3 10:35
Bill,

I'm not sure that this information is actually provided anywhere in an easily accessible form, but, apart from the overnight sleeper trains, about the only trains that have reserved seats only are the Narita Express and the Hayate shinkansen from Tokyo to Hachinohe. If you are travelling from Kyoto to Sapporo by train during the daytime, then you will be using the Hayate train.
Kyoto to Sapporo is a long journey, though, so you might want to consider flying.

2) How do I make reservations? Is it necessary to make them in advance or am I safe to make them as I go (particularly for this trip to Sapporo during the Snow Fest)

You can reserve seats at any major JR station up to one month in advance. Availability depends on the season and time of day, but trains to Hokkaido are likely to be busy during the Sapporo Snow Festival period. If you can reserve a week or at least a few days in advance, you should be OK, though.

3) Can I make reservations online or from my own country? Or do I have to wait until I get there?

It is not possible to reserve seats online, so you will have to wait until you arrive in Japan.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

One more thing... 2007/12/5 13:46
Oh, one more question.

Does it cost extra to reserve a train seat or does that come included with your JR Pass?
by Bill rate this post as useful

reservation 2007/12/5 13:53
did you check the JR pass info on the internet and on this site under the travel and transportation pages?
www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

you don't have to pay for your reservation if you have a JR pass.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread