Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Off the tourist path between Kyoto/Tokyo 2007/12/4 09:47
I have three days from a Friday morning to Sunday night. I will be in Kyoto but must get to Tokyo on Sunday night. I would like to get into the country side and not be in a big city. I'd like to stay in a ryokan and experience an onsen. I am over 60, good health and love to walk, hike, see. I speak no Japanese (sorry). thank you
by Lexy  

Hakone 2007/12/4 10:54
I don't know how long you are planning to stay in a countryside, but you can visit Hakone on the way to Tokyo. If you take the Shinkansen, then you can change at Odawara station for the Odakyu-line and get off at Hakone-yumoto. There are many hot spring facilities and hotels there. Recentry we have used one of the dropby hotspring facilities in Hakone-yumoto,called Himeshara-no-yu. We were very satisfied with the open-air bath surrounded by the woods and the lunch meals.
by mamiko rate this post as useful

Miho? 2007/12/4 23:23
How about a trip down the coast to the area of Miho no Matsubara, and Okitsu of "Japanese Inn" fame. I guess the Minaguchi-ya is closed, but there must be other ryokans in the area. We haven't been to the area in years, but remember it as charming, although certainly not rural, and with luck you can get a great view of Fuji from Miho.
by Tay rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2007/12/5 16:36
-----------I will be in Kyoto but must get to Tokyo on Sunday night. I would like to get into the country side and not be in a big city. I'd like to stay in a ryokan and experience an onsen. -----------

Closest in Kyoto, for natural outdoor/indoor onsens with ryokan would be in Kameoka or Arashiyama areas both places about 30 minutes from Kyoto central. We've been to Arashiyama but haven't tried any onsens in either of these vicinity but Yunohama onsen in Kameoka caught my attention, looks more natural on website.

Sample sites:
Kameoka:
http://www.syoenso.com/eng/info/sight.html

Arashiyama:
http://www.benkei.biz/~english/onsen.html
by cc rate this post as useful

Shirakawa-go 2007/12/8 15:42
If time permits staying overnight at a gasshozukuri (historic farmhouse) in Shirakawa-go. It is highly recommended, and a favorite during the winter snow. Shirakawa-go is a UNESCO World Heritage site near Takayama, where you will also find a number of onsen. Take the JR line from Nagoya (a Shinkansen Stop) to Takayama, and a bus to Shirakawa-go.

This might be a more challenging destination, but well worth seeing...

by zoogy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread