Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

US cell phone with an ICC? 2007/12/6 09:26
I read the forums where they say you cannot use some cell phones in japan...but i wonder if u have an international calling card, can you still use a US cingular cell phone with the international phone card...i don't think you would need cingular coverage to dial a 1-800 # ...would you?
by Liz  

... 2007/12/6 19:53
can you still use a US cingular cell phone with the international phone card...i don't think you would need cingular coverage to dial a 1-800 # ...would you?

It's a little complicated, but you can use your cingular account in Japan (albeit with a phone that cingular doesn't sell). Dialing an 800 number will still cost you international roaming rates so it's kinda pointless to use the international calling card as you will essentially be paying twice for the same call.

see this thread for more info:
http://forums.cingular.com/cng/board/message?board.id=intern...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

my thoughts... 2007/12/6 23:43
From my experiences, 800 numbers may not work internationally (thus when my company has a teleconference with japan or other countries we include the domestic dial in number as well). I agree that you can use your cell phone with the dialing card but only if that phone handles UTMS @ 2100
by Steve Lozowski rate this post as useful

international cell phones 2007/12/7 01:06
I take it you are an AT&T customer?

If you have a phone that supports the UTMS 2100 frequency you can use it in Japan, otherwise you will have to rent a phone in order to use your AT&T account there. You will be charged roaming fees, similar to what it use to be when cell phone networks were new and had limited coverage. There is a "world traveler" plan you can sign up for that is $6 a month that will give you a discount on the roaming fee, but it is still pretty expensive at over $1 per minute. There is also a global data plan you can sign up for that is $25 a month and will give you 20MB and then a small overage charge of like $0.005 per kb.

There are a few phones offered by AT&T that support UTMS 2100, and there is a guide on their site that will tell you about them. Personally, I plan on purchasing the AT&T Tilt (HTC 8925) to use while I am in Japan. I love this phone, and the fact that it is UTMS 2100 compatable is an excellent excuse to buy it!

(me= gadget geek that works for a company very involved in the mobile industry)

You can learn more about it here: http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/?_requestid=...
by Robyn rate this post as useful

oh I meant to say... 2007/12/7 01:17
meant to say that with the link, choose the "travel guide" and it have a pop up window that will show you which phones you have use in Japan. It looks like there are only about 5 right now, none of which are very cheap. The only reason I am going to buy the Tilt is because it is time to "upgrade" my phone anyway, and I really like the features of the TIlt... it will be useful for more than just Japan. Regardless, I doubt I will use the phone very much in Japan... so it will probably still be cheaper than renting a phone.

Oh, and I have no idea if you can use a calling card with a cell phone, but I am pretty sure 800 numbers are only free when dialed inside the country... regardless you will be roaming so you would have to pay the for the minutes used.

I was last in Japan 4 years ago though, and I got along on calling cards and pay phones and the hostel phone without any problems. However, the trip before that a Japanese friend gave me and old prepaid phone he wasn't using, and I must admit it did make me feel better to have it even though I used it maybe twice in 5 weeks (but sent a lot of text messages with it).
by Robyn rate this post as useful

reply to this thread