Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ghibli Museum-English language friendly? 2007/12/6 10:42
For Gaijin boys 12 &14, is this Museum English language user friendly? Though the boys have seen his films. Have any non-Japanese families been there and have no problem absorbing the context? Thanks.
by John Zee  

Not really, but it's no problem. 2007/12/6 20:30
Hi,

There is little or no English signing at all and the short film you get to see is not subtitled. However, I had no problems understanding what I was looking at, either in the museum or watching the short animation. And if you are even a casual fan of Studio Ghiblifs animation you will have a great time. Oddly enough, the only foreign language text I remember seeing was French for Hot and Cold on the taps (faucets) in the toilets.

There are a couple of other things I should mention; you need a ticket in advance which gives you a specific time to visit (available from Lawson convenience stores in Tokyo or check with your travel agent as I did). And if you have a choice avoid weekends, as it was very busy when I went on a Sunday afternoon. Oh and if you go by train, walk there from Mitaka station (instead of getting the bus) as itfs only 15-20 minutes walk and is really rather pleasant.

Hope that helped!
by Phil rate this post as useful

Thanks Phil 2007/12/7 04:14
I got it. Thanks for the reply. If we get tickets for Jan 3rd. I am sure we'll really enjoy it. John
by John Zee rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/7 07:31
Isn't Jan. 3rd still New Year's holiday?
At least I got a holiday on that day. :)
If I'm not wrong then the museum could get quite crowded on that day.

Can someone clear this up?
by Haf rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/7 08:57
It is open from the 3rd, but it is a holiday, so I am pretty sure that tickets will sell out very quickly. They are not on sale yet.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread