Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suggestions for a 8 day Tokyo Trip? 2007/12/6 13:30
I plan to visit between Dec 29 to Jan 5.

Plan to visit the following, however I'm not too sure if it's possible:

Day1 arrival Tokyo narita / spend evening walking around hotel area
Day2 Visit places like Akihabara, Shinjuku & Harujuku
Day3 Unknown
Day4 Hope to visit a nice Onsen outside of Tokyo + spending a night (any good suggestions? Budget around USD200)
Day5 Leave Onsen return to Tokyo
Day6 Unknown (maybe Kyoto?)
Day7 Unknown (maybe Kyoto?)
Day8 Return to Tokyo narita airport for flight home.

Will the above be possible, and also please recommend possible alterations to the above.
by Bryan  

fully booked in Hakone 2007/12/6 22:18
Bryan,
My suggestion would be: In your home country buy the Exchange Order for the 7 day JR Rail Pass NOW. Make hotel / ryokan reservations Hakone and or Kyoto NOW.
Dec 29 arrive Narita, validate your JR Pass starting Dec 30, take Limousine bus to your hotel if possible
Dec 30 visit what you have mentioned, as it is a Sunday try to be at Harajuku in the afternoon, all travel on JR Yamanote line covered by JR Pass, but not subway and private lines
Dec 31 If you are same Bryan with the Kitty Land question than this today, otherwise by JR Rail Pass lv Tokyo station at 08.08 by Tsubasa shinkansen to Utsunomiya change to JR Nikko line for Nikko, visit Nikko, late afternoon back to Tokyo.
Jan 1 leave main luggage at Tokyo hotel and 08.00 h with small bag for two nights ( if you have reservation for Hakone ryokan ) by kodama shinkansen to Odawara, buy 2 day Hakone Pass, by train to HakoneYumoto, make Hakone loop, end again at HakoneYumoto visit the onsen above the railwaystation ( even without overnight reservation you can take a bath at ) Kappa Tengoku ( you can check under http://www.japanhotel.net/kappa/ if they have a vacancy for one night, but what I checked with ryokans offering online reservation all in Hakone area is full for January 1st. If you cannot book accommodation at a ryokan in Hakone go back to your hotel in Tokyo for overnight and try to find a ryokan for one or both nights in Kyoto.
Jan 2 (if you could find accommodation in Hakone area: morning with Hakone Pass back to Odawara to catch the direct 09.10 h hikari shinkansen to Kyoto arr 11.20 ) otherwise morning from Tokyo to Kyoto, afternoon sightseeing Kyoto overnight Kyoto
Jan 3 Day for Kyoto overnight Kyoto. If you failed to visit an onsen till now go to Kurama onsen for a half day. http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3933.html
Jan 4 Day for Kyoto evening by a direct hikari shinkansen back to Tokyo same hotel again
Jan 5 by JR Narita Express (is your last day of the 7 day JR Pass ) to Narita airport.

by Peter rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/7 08:16
Suggestions depend on what you are interested in:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html

The easiest hot spring resort to access would be Hakone, and Kyoto would my recommendation to the average first time visitor for the second half of your stay.
by Uji rate this post as useful

new IT 2007/12/10 17:27
Well due to the holidays, I've made some changes to the trip:
Day1- Arrival
Day2- Onsen overnight trip
Day3- Return to Tokyo/ Visit Ueno's famous market at night follow by countdown at a nearby temple
Day4- Visit Hello Kitty land (hope it's open), as well as visit some of the places the hotel stuff have suggested (can't recall now in my email)
Day5- Shopping at Akihabara, Shinjuku & Harujuku
Day6- Free & easy (meaning no real plans yet?!?!?!)
Day7- The famous Tsukiji fish market follow by a trip to Ginza
Day8- Flight back home

So what do you guys/gals think? Do you think the above will work?

Btw my wife and myself would like to visit a "Maid Cafe" while we are there, does anyone have a good one to recommend? We would like to see this unique cafe while we are there.
by Bryan rate this post as useful

Clarification required please 2007/12/11 06:26
Much like the original poster, I am heading to Tokyo for the New Years...But I read that most (if not all) shops/restaurants/rails are shut down during the end of December to the Beginning of January.
I understand that New Years is a very family oriented time, but will things still be available to do/see/buy and most importantly, eat?

Thanks.
by Pat rate this post as useful

of course, yes 2007/12/11 06:51
To do/see/buy, read this first.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2276.html

Most convenience stores and many restaurants will be probably open even during the holiday season. I'm sure there will be no problem to travel then.
by Jtraeller rate this post as useful

Thank you 2007/12/11 07:41
Thank you very much Jtraeller.

I'll make some "plan b" plans also for if things are closed when we go...and maybe even a plan c :)
by Pat rate this post as useful

Miyazaki fan? 2007/12/12 03:15
I would not recommend a one week JR pass. It would not be worth the cost. I would visit Harajuku on Sunday if possible and the fish market early as possible. The fish market closes two days of the month so find out what those two days are so you can accomodate those days. I would also visit Ghibli museum if your a Miyazaki fan(worth seeing but try and get your tickets early). That museum is slightly outside of Tokyo but on the way to Puroland from Shinjuku. On your spare day, I would visit Kamakura to see Daibutsen or big Budda. I would also stop in Yokohama to visit Chinatown when your finished with Kamakura. If you have time, take a boat cruise up/down the Sumida river and visit a Sumo match. Go visit a Tokyu-hands department store in Shibuya or Ikebukuro. They carry some great stuff for sale. Tokyo Disneyland might be worth visiting, too.
by Kaieye rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/12 09:28
Just to add, if you are planning on going to the Ghibli Museum you must get tickets ahead of time as they don't sell them at the door.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread