Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2 night trips from tokyo suggestions 2007/12/13 20:41
I'll be staying in tokyo for 13 days in January 2008. I can't find a booking for the 19th and 20th at the ryokan im staying at so im thinking of taking a 2 night trip somewhere. I have a JR pass so im looking for somewhere where i can get to by JR and not have to pay.
Any ideas? I would love to visit hiroshima but i think it might be too far. What do you think?
I will be travelling with my brother. We are 21, and 24 years old.
Anything you think we might enjoy?
*anywhere except temples & shrines.
by Ima  

Hiroshima 2007/12/14 09:33
you have plenty of time to visit Hiroshima,and even Miyajima in two days.It takes about 5 hours by shinkansen from Tokyo to Hiroshima.
by liem rate this post as useful

two nights trip from Tokyo 2007/12/14 13:57
If you guys ski or snowboard, you are within reach of many ski resorts. Gala Yuzawa, for example, is only an hour and a half by shinkansen. Nozawa Onsen, which is small but has a nice traditional atmosphere, is an hour or so by bus from Nagano...
Also, if you don't mind smaller towns, Matsumoto has a beautiful castle and a scenic setting. Takayama is great to walk around in, with old streets and sake breweries. Both places would be quite cold. Neither place is known for shrines or temples.
Karuizawa has been a get-away for people from Tokyo for years. I haven't ever been but it's a short trip, and they advertise that you can ski and skate there. There is a big outlet mall there too.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/14 14:25
It might be too kicked-back for the two of you but if you don't mind the cold, and like seafood, take a look at Hakodate. The train ride is nice, especially between Aomori and Hakodate. There's a hotel right outside the JR station that is reasonable and it's next to the fishmarket.
by Lacalifusa rate this post as useful

thanks 2007/12/15 19:24
Thanks for the answers everyone. We've never seen snow in our lives, so we definitely don't snowboard or ski ;)

I think we'll go to hiroshima then :)
Thanks
by Ima rate this post as useful

Himeji 2007/12/16 08:28
Hi Ima,
If you decide to go to Hiroshima, you may also want to stop over in Himeji for a quick visit to the castle (only less than 10 minutes by taxi)
Do not forget to visit Miyajima, you can use your JR pass for the ferry.
by liem rate this post as useful

reply to this thread