Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kiso Vally itinerary in Feb08 2007/12/15 10:33
After a few days of skiing and sightseeing around Nagano area, we will have 2 days to make it from Matsumoto to Nagoya (Tuesday – Wednesday).

We have been thinking about staying a night in Kiso Vally, and exploring the towns of Narai, Tsumago and Magome. For example: take a morning train from Matsumoto to Narai, have lunch in Narai. Continue to Tsumago and spend a night in Tsumago. Next day walk/take a bus from Tsumago to Magome, explore Magome and then make our way to the station and catch a train to Nagoya.

Any feedback or better suggestions? Overnight preferences: Tsumago or Magome? Also, I found some Tsumago/Magome bus timetables in one of the old threads in this forum. Am I ok to trust those? Any new timetables available?

Thanks for your help!
by Kati  

... 2007/12/15 13:18
Sound like a good itinerary to me.

Overnight preferences: Tsumago or Magome?

I think Tsumago is most attractive. It also fits best into your itinerary.

Also, I found some Tsumago/Magome bus timetables in one of the old threads in this forum. Am I ok to trust those? Any new timetables available?

There might be some minor changes.

From Tsumago to Magome:
8:52*, 10:17, 12:27, 14:27, 16:27*

From December through February, buses operate on weekends and public holidays only.

* means that they only operate during peak travel seasons
by Uji rate this post as useful

Luggage Storage? 2007/12/15 13:39
Thanks Uji!

Any luggage storage facilities at Narai station and near Magome bus stop?
by Kati rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/15 14:02
Any luggage storage facilities at Narai station and near Magome bus stop?

I am not sure. Could not confirm. But I am suspect that there are some coin lockers at Narai Station and some kind of luggage counter at the tourist information desk in Magome. Alternatively, you could consider getting rid of your larger luggage during your visit of the Kiso Valley by forwarding it to the following destination by delivery service:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Deeper in to Kiso 2007/12/15 16:56
Butting in here with a question of my own. Sorry! Hope it stimulates more Kiso Valley chat.

I have been to Narai, Magome and Tsumago, in different seasons. I loved them, want to experience more.

Are there other sites in Kiso area worth exploring and staying at? I am particularly fond of hiking.

I wonder of there is a continuous multi-day trail that covers the whole length of the valley without interesting too often with road?

by Tama rate this post as useful

Season 2007/12/15 21:07
I should specify that I, too, are hoping to go in February.

[Feeling guilty about butting in now :( ]
by Tama rate this post as useful

not sure 2007/12/16 01:02
In response to the initial post - we were at Narai and Niekawa last spring. I can't recall if there were lockers at Narai station, but I tend to doubt it. It's a very small station. There is a ticket office, but I'm not sure it's even staffed in the off season. I know that the Niekawa station wasn't staffed even during the spring - we had to purchase tickets on the train.
Narai is known for its soba, and it's great. There's a famous minshuku there also, but the name escapes me right now - I think I listed it on a previous post I entered on the subject.
by Tay rate this post as useful

reply to this thread