Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Attending college and teaching in japan? 2007/12/17 08:09
I am an american 17 year old senior who plans on attending a japanese University (pref. ICU of Tokyo) after graduation to get my bachelors degree and go on to teach English in japan. I have allways loved english , helping others learn , and had allways dreamed of living in japan. By teaching english in japan i feel that it would be the best chance for me to acomplish my dreams and goals. My concerns are: Is ICU a good school to attend if you plan on teaching english in Japan? What is the acceptance rate for ICU? Can I still apply to ICU if i have only taken the ACT and have NOT taken the SAT?
Thank you all for your time and any other tips or pointers would be greatly apreciated! ^_^
by Mike  

. 2007/12/17 09:58
You should direct all your admission questions to ICU directly:

http://www.icu.ac.jp/index_e.html

Many schools in the US accept either ACT and SATs but its best to contact the school and ask.

You can teach english in Japan with any type of degree. I suggest getting a degree in a subject other then English.

The english teaching profession in Japan has gone under some hard times lately.
by John rate this post as useful

go to japan later 2007/12/17 12:35
your better off going to school wherever your from and getting an english degree that way and minor in japanese studies. uni. in japan will be very expensive and quite difficult if your not so proficient in kanji,etc. get your degree at home and go to japan afterwards. thats what i would do at least, makes more sense, esp. if you want an english degree.
by carrie rate this post as useful

Some Help 2007/12/18 00:45
ICU is hard to get into.

If your not accepted, there are some other english speaking universities in Japan you might want to look into.

Just google any of these names.

"Sophia University Faculty of Comparative Culture": This school is in Tokyo and is hard to get into.

"Temple University Japan": This is an American University in Tokyo. They admit on a case by case basis but are not usually very strict.

"Ritsumeikan APU": This is in Oita prefecture and if you are American, they will accept you no question asked and give a big scholarship as wellbecuase, although it is an international university, they have very few students from outside of asia.

"Akita International University": This is in Akita prefecture and the admission standards are fairly low.

Again, all of these schools ofer 4 year degree programs in English.
by Been in Japan too Long rate this post as useful

Akita Intl Uni 2008/3/25 06:04
Wait, the admissions requirement to get into Akita International Uni are only high school diploma? so you just need to pass high school to get in. Can someone please check from the website. i think i read it correctly. thanks!
by Nokiaman rate this post as useful

reply to this thread