Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Bringing Micro-Brews to Nagoya from US 2007/12/17 09:59
So.. I am returning to the U.S. for Christmas break and I would love to bring back a bunch of the micro-brews that I am used to in the U.S. to Japan. I think a lot of my friends who enjoy beer would like to try the different shades of beer, filtered and unfiltered, that the U.S. has. I haven't found a good place here in Nagoya where I can get many of the beers I am used to drinking.

I was wondering if a good way to do this would be to fill my carry-on with beer, and then have the receipts and cash to pay duties with me? My understanding is that it would be 5% for consumption tax, is this correct? Also, if I buy two bottles of hard alcohol, can I have those be duty free as a resident in Japan, and then just pay for the beer?

Thanks for any and all help!
RyanJohn
by RyanJohn  

can't carry on beer 2007/12/17 11:40
You can't carry on beer (or any other liquid) even if it is sealed into or out of the U.S. right now. You may be able to check it, but I'm not sure. Call your airline beforehand to see.
by acase rate this post as useful

Oh yeah... derr 2007/12/18 10:30
Thanks for the reminder - totally forgot about that annoying liquid limit. My question is still the same, since I can check the bag. Does anyone know about how it works to bring beer through customs like this?

Thanks,
RyanJohn
by RyanJohn rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/18 11:01
well you can bring 3 bottle in duty-free

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/essential/customs.html

and up to 200000 yen more dutiable. I would try to find out exactly what the dutiable rate is for beer as I suspect that it will not be the same as consumption tax. Try contacting the airport directly or the Japanese consulate if you're in the US. Let us know how it goes.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread