Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is ''nuketeku''? 2007/12/18 23:20
Well Japan is 6 hours ahead so I guess it's こんばんは then. (not that far into kanji yet to trust Microsoft IME *g*)

I'm studying japanese on my own and I'm currently learning by listing to japanese music and translating the lyrics.

But I sometimes come accross words that are in no dictionary I know.
Such a word is ''nuketeku''.(well maybe the lyrics I found on the internet are wrong but it ''sounds'' right from what I can hear from the song)

Any help would be appreciated!

ps.
line from the song: kaze ga toori nuketeku

pps.
If anyone knows a dictionary (german-japanase or english-japanese) worth the money I would appreciate giving me the ISBN.
by Thomas  

short form 2007/12/19 11:15
The problem with song lyrics is that the words used are often informal versions, not dictionary forms.
"Nuketeku" is most likely a short form of "nukete iku"- try looking that up. I'll leave the translation of the full sentence for one of the Japanese people.
by Sira rate this post as useful

toori-nukeru (or tori-nukeru) 2007/12/19 11:45
In that lyric's case, the basic form is ''toori-nukeru''.

''kaze ga toori nuketeku'' means, ''The wind goes through'' or to be precise, it means, ''The wind is going through''.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Just to add 2007/12/19 18:03
The verb you want to look for is, as Uco-san suggests, "toori nukeru" or "toori-nukemasu." By itself it means "to go through," "to pass through."

When the "...iku/ikimasu" is added to the end of "te-form" of a verb (in this case, "toori nukeTE"), is signifies a sense of speed or direction, so "toori nukete iku" means "(the wind) passes through, passes by me" (with the sense of speed as if you are looking at something fast passing by you).

And now the "nukete ku"... often in colloquial speech, "...te iku" becomes "...teku," with the "i" omitted. That's how "toori nuketeku" is constructed :)
by AK rate this post as useful

thanks! 2007/12/19 18:07
どうもありがとう

Well I looked up とおり and ぬける but didn't thought of putting them together (toorinukeru is in the online dictionary I use).
I thought of something like: "The wind does something along/by a road"

Well I guess it's not a good idea to practice japanese with translating song lyrics.
by Thomas rate this post as useful

thanks AK 2007/12/19 18:18
Good explaination, thank you very much.
Definitly have to add that to my japanese documents!

So in a more poetic/lyrical translation it's more like "The wind passes by (me)"?
by Thomas rate this post as useful

reply to this thread