Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

christmas wishes in japanese language 2007/12/21 04:07
i need help...i need some christmas wishes in japanese...i give my word to little boy who live next to me... please!!!
by michael  

... 2007/12/21 14:18
Meri Kuri - slang for Merry Christmas
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

merii kurisumasu 2007/12/21 14:25
As it's not a traditional holiday in Japan they use the English with Japanese pronunciation- merii kurisumasu

New Year is a traditional holiday in Japan so there are a lot of greeting phrases for it.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/21 15:08
Some websites state that "shinnen omedetou!" is the japanese equivalent for Merry christmas, but it's literal translation is actual something among the lines of "congratulations to a new year".
by Haf rate this post as useful

Year-end greeting 2007/12/21 16:05
- If you want to say this toward the end of the year (so you can't say "happy new year" yet), maybe when you say bye to someone for the last time this year, then you can say:
"Yoi o-toshi wo omukae kudasai!"
(Please start off a good new year = I wish you a happy new year!).

- But if you want to specifically wish someone a merry christmas, then we do say: Merii Kurisumasu!
by AK rate this post as useful

omukae 2007/12/25 17:14
i hope *omukae *is not dirty nappys i know mukae is meet, so meeting a year (toshi) is ok i guess and omukae is new year ?
by bigbob rate this post as useful

... 2007/12/25 17:43
"Yoi o-toshi wo omukae kudasai" = I hope you will encounter/welcome a good year

yoi = good
o-toshi = (polite term for "toshi") year
wo = object marker
omukae = (from "mukaeru" to welcome, to meet), the polite version of "mukaete"
omukae kudasai = please encounter/welcome

by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

happy new year 2007/12/25 18:19
thanks for that,

by bigbob rate this post as useful