Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Piercings and JET? 2007/12/30 08:56
Hey everyone I have a question. I'm planning on entering the JET program when I finish college. However I am thinking of getting a few piercings in both of my ears (I'm a guy btw). Is this something that could potential interfer with me becoming a JET or cause problems with my contracting organization? Also what are the social attitudes towards piercings in Japan?
by Banky  

piercings 2007/12/30 13:35
The JET motto is ESID- every situation is different. However the Japanese are fairly conservative when it comes to piercing- it was even considered radical for women until not too long ago.

As long as you don't wear anything in your ears to an interview or at the school you would probably be fine. It might be a better idea to wait though if you really want to be accepted for JET.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/12/31 09:36
Thanks for the reply. If simply not wearing the jewelry will work, than that probably works for me. I've still got a few years left of school, if I get the piercings soon, they will be plenty healed by the time I do JET, so I can just simply take out the jewelry when necessary or wear retainers when it would be appropriate.
by Banky rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/25 12:04
From my experience on JET, they are not too strict concerning piercings. It is perfectly acceptable to wear clear plastic studs or even better to take them out while at work.

I would not recommend getting any new piercings while on your JET tenure though.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

. 2008/2/26 07:58
I couldn't tell you about the JET programme, but I was in Japan for 5 weeks over the summer. For 4 of these weeks I was in the countryside. I have 12 piercings and nobody looked at me or treated me in a funny way because of them. Infact I'd probably say I get more looks at home!!
by fredarimi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread