Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can someone verify my translations? 2008/1/1 21:14
Can someone tell me if I am correct in my translations?

Nante iwanai josei ni

Please don't say my girl.

Anata ha yasashii kara
kitto yoi nin ni deae masu.

Because you are sweet.. nice person something meet??

Watashi ga anata no chikara nin arerunonara itsudemo tayotte hoshii.

I am your strength anytime you want??

sono koto ha wasurenaide.

I will not forget your situation.
by Steve  

... 2008/1/2 10:13
The original sentences are a bit wrong here and there... please look at the corrections I've made.

"....." nante iwanai, josei ni

You/I don't say things like "....." to women.

Anata ha yasashii kara, kitto yoi hito ni deae masu.

Because you are sweet, you will meet someone nice.

Watashi ga anata no chikara ni narerunonara, itsudemo tayotte hoshii.

If I can be of any help/assistance to you, please count on me any time.

Sono koto ha wasurenaide.

Please don't forget that.
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

Thanx 2008/1/2 16:33
Thank you for the corrections. Although I thought ni meant in, not to. For example

itsumo kokoro ni

always in my heart

Or is that de?

itsumo kokoro de?

Also, can you just stick a bunch of words in a sentence and so long as the particles are correct, it will mean the same thing? Even for long sentences?

Example:

Whenever you and me are together, my heart beats faster.

Itsudemo anata to watashi wa isho ni, watashi no kokoro ga moto hayai hyoushi suru

or would this be okay also

Itsudemo watashi no kokoro ga moto haywai hyoushi, anata to watashi ga isho ni.

Arigato!
by Steve rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/2 23:36
Thank you for the corrections. Although I thought ni meant in, not to. For example

It is [place] ni imasu/arimasu = to be in [place]

but in other instances, when you have "...ni" with other verbs, it expresses more a sense of direction "to" or "towards" something.

Also, can you just stick a bunch of words in a sentence and so long as the particles are correct, it will mean the same thing? Even for long sentences?

No. And you need to have the "....whenever....." clause and the "my heart...." clauses separated. Umm, in the first place, the sentences you have lack verbs.

Whenever you and me are together, my heart beats faster.

Itsudemo anata to watashi wa issho ni iru to, watashi no shinzou no kodou ga hayaku narimasu.

issho ni iru = to be together

shinzou no kodou = heartbeat

hayaku narimasu = to become faster
by AK rate this post as useful

Another slight correction 2008/1/2 23:38
It should be:

Itsudemo anata to watashi ga issho ni iru to, watashi no shinzou no kodou ga hayaku narimasu.

Thank you 2008/1/3 16:01
I see. So everytime I want to separate phrases, I should use a "to"?

And I almost forgot, you always put the verb at the end?

... 2008/1/3 19:01
I see. So everytime I want to separate phrases, I should use a "to"?

No. I used "(verb) + to"for the first clause of your sentence ("whenever I am with you,") because it is an expression of "if/whenever (something happens)," conditional clause. In that case, you use the "ru/u form" (or dictionary form) of the verb + "to."

I emphasized the fact that you needed to separate the "whenever..." (conditional) clause and the result clause, because in your second sentence you had everything jumbled up together :)

What you had was:
- Itsudemo anata to watashi wa issho ni, watashi no kokoro ga motto hayai hyoushi suru (When you and I together, my emotion beats faster.)

- Itsudemo watashi no kokoro ga motto haywai hyoushi, anata to watashi ga issho ni. (Whenver my emotion beats faster, you and I together.)

The second sentence does not carry the meaning you wanted to convey. (And also please note that your "kokoro" cannot beat faster, because "kokoro" is figurative "heart, emotion, feelings, etc." not your physical heart. Also "hyoushi suru" is not a correct verb.)

And I almost forgot, you always put the verb at the end?

In Japanese sentences, the verbs tend to come at the end. In English, to say "I eat apples," you have Subject - verb - object. In Japanese, it would be:
Watashi wa ringo wo tabemasu. (I - apples - eat.)

Primitive talk. 2008/1/5 22:50
Thank you for the corrections.
I didn't realize I had been sounding like a caveman in my conversations.

Can I give you three more examples to see if I've got this right? I don't have my dictionary with me so I'll just move around the English words mixed with Japanese :-)

1) I am creating the possibility that we will be together.

Watashi tachi ga isho ni iru to POSSIBILITY CREATE (SURU/IRU)

2) I am creating the possibility that I will be your best friend.

Watashi ga anata no ichiban tomodachi iru to POSSIBILITY CREATE (SURU/IRU)

3) I am creating a story in my head that you hate me, but I know it is just a story.

Anata ga watashi ga okeru atama ni STORY CREATE (IRU) TO, STORY IRU dake shitteiru yo.

Is that better?

To Steve, 2008/1/5 23:03
In the first place, I don't quite understand the part about you "creating possibility that..." but let me give you an attempted answer with re-phrased English sentences. Some things simply need to be rephrased to make sense in Japanese :) Ummm, do you mean that you are "fantasizing" "imagining" when you say "creating"? Let me know because then the sentences 1 and 2 need re-phrasing again.

1) I am thinking of/imagining the possibility that we can be together.

- Watashi tachi ga issho ni irareru to iu kanousei wo omoi ukabete imasu. ("The possibility that.." = "...to iu kanousei")

2) I am thinking/imagining the possibility that I can be your best friend.

- Watashi ga anata no ichiban no tomodachi de irareru to iu kanousei wo omoi ukabete imasu.

3) I am creating a story in my head [that you hate me], but I know it is just a story.

- Atama no naka de, [anata ga watashi wo kirai da to iu] monogatari wo omoi ukabete imasu ga, demo, sore wa monogatari ni sugimasen.

Sorry, the last one has the same problem with the main clause and the sub clause (the one in "that...") jumbled up together. I put brackets around the "that..." clause to show you how they should fit together. (Here, "monogatari" is "story.")

Thank you 2008/1/15 11:13
Hi AK,

The "creating the possibility" phrase is meant to be more of a visualization type sentence. I don't know if imagining would be the right word as to me it conveys a fantasy, or something that is just a dream, not something that will happen in reality. I would like to use that phrase even in a work relationship. For example, I would like to create the possibility that we will be able to cut costs by 25%. So love, business, friendship, anything really.

As for the story sentence, it's actually the opposite. I was trying to emphasize that the person hating me, was in fact, just a figment of my imagination and NOT reality. But by emphasizing that to the other person, it helps them to feel comfortable that it is not reality and most importantly, that I acknowledge it is not reality. I've found that is a great way to avoid misunderstandings and clear up any confusion.

Thank you.

reply to this thread