Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ice Norokko train 2008/1/5 09:24
Hi
Anyone tried this? where does it depart?
Is there an English web site for this scenic train?

How long does it take?
JR pass can pass?

We will travel to Sapporo, Asahikwa, Abasiri, Sounkyo.
Which is the place we take this train?

Thanks
by Irene  

... 2008/1/5 10:21
I assume you refer to the "Ryuhyo Norokko".

Anyone tried this?

Not me.

where does it depart?

It operates between Abashiri and Shiretoko-Shari Station. But only on selected dates, namely from January 26 to February 29.

Is there an English web site for this scenic train?

I don't think so.

How long does it take?

The journey from Abashiri to Shiretoko-Shari takes about one hour one way.

JR pass can pass?

Yes.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Ice Norokko Train 2008/1/5 22:35
Hi Uji

Thanks for the information.

How could I reserve the train? Is reservation compulsory?

Do you happen to have the train schedule?

Hear from you.
by Irene rate this post as useful

Norokko train 2008/1/6 01:32
I took the Norokko train on March 2000.
Reservation was not necessary, it was like riding an ordinary train.
You can see some pictures at my travelogue: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/34ae5/#TL
by Luciano rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/6 14:04
How could I reserve the train?

At a JR ticket counter anywhere in Japan from one month before travel date.

Is reservation compulsory?

No.

Do you happen to have the train schedule?

10:25 13:57 Abashiri
11:22 14:48 Shiretoko-Shari

08:55 11:57 Shiretoko-Shari
10:00 12:53 Abashiri

Ryuhko Norokko 2008/1/7 15:46
I took this train from Shiretoko Shari to Abashiri last winter.The scenery was not as spectacular due to the mild winter last year. The train is equipped with a stove as heater as well as grill inside the car. Passengers could purchase dried fish and cuttle fish at the station or on aboard the train to grill them on the stove. The hard wooden seats/benches are facing the outside with little legrooms. It could be quite uncomfortable when the train was full of visitors ( winter is the peak season for the drifting ice in Abashiri and Monbetsu). If you are travelling southeast from Abashiri to Shari, choose the left hand seat, which will give you a nice view of the drift ice onshore the Sea of Okhotsk. There is another Norokko see-sighting train running from Shari to Kushiro via the wetland of Kushiro in the winter. Reservation is required.
by tju rate this post as useful

.... 2008/1/7 15:55
I meant to say the sight-seeing train!!

... 2008/1/7 19:02
There is another Norokko see-sighting train running from Shari to Kushiro

This is a steam locomotive train, and operates from January 26 to February 29 (plus January 19 and 20). It is fully reserved. It does not operate quite as far as Shari, but only as far as Shibecha, at the northern end of Kushiro's national park.

.. 2008/1/8 11:25
Thanks Uji for pointing my mistake. I got a bit of mixed up with the JR Semmon line from Kushiro to Shiretoko Shari. You are right the sight-seeing train does not go as far as to Shari.

JR from Kushiro - Shari 2008/7/7 02:48
I'd like to use JR pass in between Kushiro and Shari on mid of July 08...

Can i use JR pass for Kushiro to Shari or vice versa ? Do i have to reserve for tickets and may i know how's the route schedule and cost like ?

thanks,
gee
by Gee rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/7 08:41
Can i use JR pass for Kushiro to Shari or vice versa ?

Yes.

Do i have to reserve for tickets and may i know how's the route schedule and cost like ?

Reservations are not possible on trains between Kushiro and Shari except on some seasonal special trains, such as the Ice Norokko. Reservations are free with the Japan Rail Pass.

reply to this thread