Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Luxury Ryokan Collection 2008/1/5 17:40
I have been researching about ryokan and found the captioned website. All of them seem so beautiful and I am trying to surprise my girlfriend with a booking at one of these ryokans for our anniversary. It is so hard to decide. I am planning to go in mid Feb but just can't seem to decide on which one. I am looking for:
-something a bit more modern
-location with beautiful views and scenery
-great food
-romantic
-budget is not a big issue. I just want to get what I pay for in terms of service, food, location and most importantly, the ryokan experience with a modern touch.
Many thanks in advance for all your help
by Desmond  

... 2008/1/6 14:15
I enjoyed my stay at the following modern luxury ryokan, although it does not score that high in terms of views:
http://senjyuan.jp/
by Uji rate this post as useful

where is it? 2008/1/6 14:43
Thank you for your suggestions. I have looked at the site and it looks beautiful. The view is not bad either. Where exactly is it as I can not read Japanese
Thanks,
Desmond
by Desmond rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/6 15:26
It is in Tanigawa Onsen, Minakami Town, Gunma Prefecture:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&time=&date=&t...
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/6 23:42
Thanks for the map. I am also wondering how this one compares to Kinnotake, Gora Kadan and the Asaba. Sorry to be so bothersome and many thanks for your advice. I have also checked this website:
http://www.ryokan.or.jp/index_en.html
But there are 55,000 of them! How to choose??!!

ryokan info 2008/1/7 08:09
here are a couple of other resources, if you haven't found them already:
www.japaneseguesthouses.com - these people are able to answer questions about ryokans and are very helpful. They have some very pricey ryokans on their site (some overlap with the luxury ryokan collection) and also have some reviews written by travellers).
http://int.kateigaho.com/oct03/ryokan-list.html - a magazine article about some high-end ryokans.
As far as the choice, it's kind of a crap-shoot, but a nice one - you can't really lose. I haven't stayed in the kind of place you're looking at, but I have stayed in many very nice ryokan/ryokan hotels and even less expensive places have wonderful service and food.
In February, the areas in Honshu that don't have snow are kind of bleak - not totally without green, but those beautiful website photos of green trees and ravines aren't quite accurate. If it were me, I'd try to find a place with a view of Mt. Fuji (in winter you have a pretty good chance of having a clear view) or a view of the ocean - Shimoda maybe? OR I'd go for a place with snow, for the atmosphere.
I have stayed at Konansou in Kawaguchiko and while it is larger (six or seven floors) and not particularly attractive from the outside, once you get past the lobby it is lovely. We had a room with a view of Mt. Fuji, and their baths have a view of Mt. Fuji as well. There are also three private baths that can be rented for something around 4000 yen per hour, and if you book one around sunset the view is spectacular.
Nagase Ryokan in Takayama, while not lavish, is a quiet place with only 11 rooms, and each room looks out onto a little garden. Takayama in the winter evenings is really special, I think. In February I think you'd have to count on snow.
Good luck!
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/1/7 22:25
Many thanks for all your advice. I was thinking about all your suggestions today and decided that a visit should really also encompass the seasonality of the beauty in the region. I think it would be much better to come in Autumn so that I can take in the beauty of the changing leaves. However, a good thing is that I can book way in advance and make sure I get the ryokan I want.
Many thanks again to everyone who contributed to my query.

Luxury Ryokans 2008/5/6 13:27
I have been fortunate to stay in many top ryokans.I think that the Tawaraya in Kyoto is the best city ryokan in Japan. Horai and Asaba are exquisite and sublime. Gora Kadan is beautiful but food is not great and the place is not traditional like Asaba.Shutters creek at night because they are not properly made to top traditional Japanese standards but if you want a resort hotel, Gora Kadan is OK.Can anyone recommend a top ryokan in Hagi.
by eileen rate this post as useful

reply to this thread