Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can I get a massage with tattoos? 2008/1/6 00:28
Hello,

I know there are a lot of posts about tattoos on here, but none of them cover getting massages. Is it possible to get a massage if you have tattoos in Japan? Also, where would you recommend getting a massage in Tokyo. I am on a tight budget (but REALLY want to get a massage), so the cheaper the better.

Thank you!
by lizardcosta  

... 2008/1/6 15:19
What kind of massages are you talking about? Many that I know (for example, sports therapy type of massage such as "Temomin" chain) do not require you to expose your skin, so I don't see any problem.
by AK rate this post as useful

Try the Shiatsu Room 2008/1/6 16:11
My favourite place is a chain called The Shiatsu Room, which has branches in various places- Shibuya, Harajuku, Aoyama etc. I have a small tattoo on my foot and they haven't mentioned it although they massage your feet so they have obviously seen it.

For Shiatsu you remain clothed or put on their pyjama-like clothes so tattoos on your back etc. won't be seen.

Google "Shiatsu Room Tokyo and you will find their site. If you don't speak Japanese there should be someone on hand with enough English to help you.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Shiatsu, relaxing 2008/1/6 23:54
I am looking for a relaxing-type massage. Not sports. But thank you for the recommendations and the help.
by lizardcosta rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/7 08:24
If you go for the real relaxing type, then the Shiatsu place mentioned by Sira sounds good, or reflexology places would be good. (I only brought up the Temomin as an example of how you need to be dressed - I often go there at work break time for a short back massage and no problem not changing into any special gear at all - and they are of the loosen-stiff-muscles with firm hands type.)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread