Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

the name "Susan" in Japanese 2008/1/6 11:29
one of the first things I learned in Japanese was "Konnichiwa. (your name) desu/to moushimasu." But then I learned that -san is Mr/Ms, but no one ever says -san when refering to themselves... so, my question is... am I going to get funny looks when I say "Konnichiwa, Susan desu" since I pronounce my name Sue-san (not sue-zen, as some people do)?
by pixwashere  

... 2008/1/6 15:18
I would think that most people are familiar with the name "Susan", and won't confuse it with the name "Sue".
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/6 15:23
I see your point if you pronounce your nams "sue-sen," not "sue-zen." People are likely to say "oh, your name is Susan," with a Z sound, so you might just have to explain once that your name is pronounced SuSan. But you are not going to get any funny looks :)
by AK (Japanese) rate this post as useful

name your name 2008/1/6 18:02
My first name is long and many people in many countries would find it hard to pronounce plus I DON'T LIKE to give it to all and sundry, including store staff and people I likely will never see again. I just use initials:"hello, I am TR" (these aren't my initials) even my work badge has initials, not a full name. How about something like that?
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

zan janai? 2008/1/7 13:04
Susan would be pronounced Suuzan or Suezan (Sue-American pronounciation), zan as in san.
スーザン
by cc rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/7 13:55
cc,

Be that as it may, this particular Susan's preference is to pronounce it "sue-san" with clear "S" sound, not "Z," as I have known most Susans to call themselves :) That's the part which is a bit unusual (though well possible of course), thus the question.
by AK (Japanese, lived in US) rate this post as useful

Susan san? 2008/1/7 14:53
The name Susan could be perplexing.
Maybe there was a mix up in Japanese way of calling her name Sue san and Susan, herself, thought that was pronounciation for her name when infact Japanese started calling her Sue san instead of Suuzan san (Susan san)
by cc rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/7 16:28
I think the OP's question is whether the "san" at the end of her name could be misinterpreted as the suffix -san. I'm not sure exactly how she pronounces her name but the "san" in her name would typically have a totally different pronunciation (セン) to the suffix -san (さん), so there shouldn't be much confusion.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

ah, see, this is why I was wondering 2008/1/7 17:12
...I didn't want people in Japan to think my name was "Mrs Sue" when I introduced myself, since they way my name is pronouced (or at least the way I have always been called) sounds like "Sue-san"
by pixwashere rate this post as useful

depends on the pronunciation 2008/1/7 17:33
Do you actually pronounce the last syllable as "san", with a fairly long "a", or is it the shorter "a" as in "hand", or the neutral sound (think of the "o" in "season"). I would say if it is the first sound, then it is quite likely Japanese people will think you are adding the honorific "san" to your own name. If it is one of the other two, then they are less likely to think that as it is a different sound.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread