Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

7 days trip - pls adv schedule 2008/1/8 18:34
my wife & I are going to Japan at around end of April 2008. We would have to spend the 1st and 2nd night at tokyo as part of the package. We want to cover Osaka, Kyoto and Fukuoka, before spending the last night at Tokyo again. We would fly back to SIN at late afternoon on the 7th day Would someone be able to help to suggest schedule for us, as well as best transport pass to get? While we want to stay at least 1 night at Kyoto, we do not mind to take night train or night bus for other nights to reach Osaka and Fukuoka to save accomodation. Is that correct that currently JR Pass only cover night bus for Tokyo,Kyoto and Osaka and not Fukuoka? Thanks.
by miki  

.. 2008/1/10 10:55
Very much feasible with a JR 7 day pass. if your trip will only be 7 days, you can stay the first two days in Tokyo. Then take the SUNRISE-SETO or SUNRISE IZUMO to Osaka. Then take the AKATUSKI to Hakata. Then return both using the night trains (free with JR Pass) backward or the day time shinkansen to Tokyo. You must realise if you can use the free night trains for the two legs, you will be able to save time for more sightseeing although you won't be able to get very quality sleep on the trains. If you are using day time train to travel around those places in 7 days, you are very rushing through your trip. I use the night trains for 6 nights and travel between tokyo and hakata myself. It is very feasible.
by lester rate this post as useful

7 days trip - night train,hotel,bath &HP 2008/1/10 12:34
Thank you, Lester. Very encouraging. I have some more Qs. Hope you do not mind to help:
1. Sunsire Seto/ Izumo - Osaka
Nobi2 seat is a normal train seat? Reclining? Is it worth to get private compartment? If we only have say 1 day at Osaka, what is the best place to go and takes how long to complete?
Is that better to make all train reservation upon arrival at Narita? Do you remember which level is the travel service centre located?

2. Hakata (hotel+sightseeing)
Do you happen to spend night at Hakata? If yes, any good hotel? Any good place at Hakata to go in 1 day?

3. Bath
Sorry, this may be laughable. If we spend 2consecutive nights on the train (means save on accomodation), err, how can I get shower?

4. HP
Do you happen to rent HP or buy prepaid SIM card for your trip? I saw many discussions on this, but get confused!

Would appreciate your advice.
by miki rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/10 12:48
1. Sunsire Seto/ Izumo - Osaka
Nobi2 seat is a normal train seat? Reclining? Is it worth to get private compartment? If we only have say 1 day at Osaka, what is the best place to go and takes how long to complete?
Is that better to make all train reservation upon arrival at Narita? Do you remember which level is the travel service centre located?

Sunrise night trains are not seat but carpet laid bed. It is hard but clean and nice. You can reserve this so called "nobinobi seat" at Narita. If you are just going to Osaka, take either one will be fine. The reserve centre at narita is basement 1. For osaka, I just go shopping and eat. You can choose to go to Kyoto is you are looking for temples etc.

2. Hakata (hotel+sightseeing)
Do you happen to spend night at Hakata? If yes, any good hotel? Any good place at Hakata to go in 1 day?

I take another train to beppu for the sand bath. Sorry I didn't use any hotel as I slept on night trains to save time.

3. Bath
Sorry, this may be laughable. If we spend 2consecutive nights on the train (means save on accomodation), err, how can I get shower?

Sunrise trains has shower. Buy shower card from train personnel for under 400yen. For me, I did all the research for hotspring or local bath places whereever i go. No laugh, I make sure I can enjoy a hotspring everyday of my 7 day trip.

4. HP
Do you happen to rent HP or buy prepaid SIM card for your trip? I saw many discussions on this, but get confused!

No. I don't have any information on those things.

PS. you will love Sunrise trains. make sure you catch one or two during your trip. But try not to book the night train from Osaka to Toyko on a Friday night. very full most of the time. Hope you enjoy your night trains.

by lester rate this post as useful

thank you! 2008/1/10 14:37
Lester, many thanks for the great reply! Yes, will try the sunrise train. Ehm, sorry, once concern, how is the security at nobi2? I am afraid losing cash sleeping out there with strangers around....

BTW, for your info, AKATSUKI service is going to be terminated in March 2008. So sad... Now must think of new way to go to Fukuoka at night.

Again, thanks, Lester!

That's correct 2008/1/10 21:14
The overnight train Akatsuki will be discontinued from 15th of Mar. Refer to the newspaper article.
http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200712110111.ht...

Please be reminded that the westbound Sunrise train doesn't stop at Osaka, so you need to alight at the first stop Himeji at 5:24am next morning. Then backtrack to Osaka.
Because you're traveling on a JR pass, it costs no extra money no matter how far you may travel. What the Nobinobi-seat looks like is in the following link:
http://www62.tok2.com/home/tsubame787/seat_285.html
Scroll down to the icon with a man in the seat, and click the images to enlarge.

If you're concerned about security, I might recommend you to put your money and passport in your moneybelt, though overnight trains in Japan isn't as insecure as in Europe.

As to reasonable accommodation, refer to the links.
http://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng/
http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/en/

If you want to utilize the Sunrise train on your way back to Tokyo from Fukuoka also, catch Shinkansen to Okayama, and change to it.

Hakata 20:28--Hikari--22:15 Okayama 22:33--Sunrise--7:08am Tokyo.

by optimistk rate this post as useful

thank you! how about 2008/1/11 09:50
Thank you, Optimistk! So detailed help! Please help to see if such plan would be efficient and economical:
Day 1 & 2- Tokyo ( no choice - accomodation included in package)
Day 3 - take Hikari to Kyoto in the afternoon.
Day 4 - morning at Kyoto. Leave for Hakata by HAYABUSA in the evening
Day 5 - morning at Hakata. Leave for Osaka by HAYABUSA in the evening
Day 6 - morning at Osaka+Himeji - leave for Tokyo by SUNRISE in the evening
Day 7 - morning at Tokyo and fly back home in the afternoon

I have some further Qs. Thought better find out about this before I set everything.

1. HAYABUSA
Can't find any info/ picture of this night train, or either the schedule. Used Jorudan but this website still offer Akatsuki for April 2008. Notice that there is no nobi2 seat on Hayabusa, but there is couchette and private rooms. Anyone ever tried either of these? Worth to get? Is Hayabusa's seats reclining model? Comfortable to sleep on?

2. SUNRISE TRAIN
Do you think we need to get folded mattress/blanket to sleep? The train would not provide one, right? Any idea where we could get one at around Osaka and how much it may cost? Does 100YEN shop carry this kind?

3. OSAKA/HIMEJI
Any idea what time the famous castle at Himeji closed for viewing? If don't want to go back and forth, is that best to start the day at Osaka then afternoon at Himeji then go to Okayama so can board the Sunrise Train? Which one is better place to pass time: Himeji or Okayama?

4. Train Reservation
Notice there is a number for train reservation: 03-38441950. Is that possible for us to call from overseas to this number and ask for reservation to be made? Any prefix to dial before 03....

Sorry for so many Qs. Thank you!

... 2008/1/11 11:45
Can't find any info/ picture of this night train, or either the schedule.

Pictures are here:
http://homepage1.nifty.com/hodo/burutore/hayabusa/index.htm#...

The schedule:
00:37 Kyoto
10:11 Hakata

17:37 Hakata
----- Osaka

I am afraid, the Hayabusa does not stop on the way back from Kumamoto to Tokyo.

The Hayabusa is likely to stop operation in spring 2009.

Is Hayabusa's seats reclining model? Comfortable to sleep on?

The hayabusa carries berths and private rooms exclusively. There are no seats, although, the beds can be converted into seats during the day. I have never used the Hayabusa personally.

Any idea what time the famous castle at Himeji closed for viewing?

September through May: 16:00
June through August: 17:00
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

any idea about Beppu 2008/1/11 13:04
Dear Uji, thank you for your sharp eyes! I did not notice the no-stop at Osaka for the trip back from Hakata.

Looks like I must find alternative way.

A. If I change my plan for 5th day to be:
1. Go to Beppu instead of Hakata to enjoy hot spring and stay a night there.
2. Leave for Osaka the next day by shinkansen.
BTW, is there something worth to visit at Hakata? If not, then I don't bother to think of spending some time there.

Is Suginoi a good choice? I am thinking practical: there is hotel and hot spring. Or... there is nicer ryokan out there? Can we just go to Suginoi for bath without being their hotel guest? There is another hot spring, forget the name, seems very traditional. Which one would you recommend?

B. HAYABUSA
Thanks for the website, Uji. Err, considering having the Japan Rail Pass, how much more to pay for riding Hayabusa? Sorry, my Japanese very lousy, can't read very well. It looks like an older version than Sunrise.
I don't get the different between deluxe and solo. Both are for 1 person stay, but prices differ by twice. And The lowest B class cabin can accodomate how many persons? Both of us are very tall. Better take Deluxe or Solo?

Thank you!

reply to this thread