Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

NHK fees compulsory? 2008/1/10 10:48
I live in an apartment in the burbs, and the NHK man often comes ringing the doorbell asking to be let in. He says he's from NHK and here to collect fees.

I am a foreigner living in Japan, but have been told the fees are not compulsory (otherwise they'd send bills to you).

I tell the man that I can't speak Japanese and he soon goes away, but he comes back every 2 months or so. It's so annoying.

I wonder if I should just pay the darn fee to get rid of him!

What's the deal with the NHK fees? Does anyone know?
by NHK Fees?  

. 2008/1/10 13:02
FAQs on NHK Receiving Fee
http://www.nhk.or.jp/eigyo/index_e.html
by . rate this post as useful

NHK man 2008/1/10 13:21
The NHK fee is also very unpopular with Japanese people, and many avoid paying for as long as possible. Theoretically it is compulsory, and they will just keep coming back.

If it bothers you, it might be better just to pay.

Where I live we get a lot of salespeople coming to the building but we have "autolock" which lets me see on a screen who is ringing the bell. Basically if I don't know the person and am not expecting a delivery I don't answer the door, so have avoided the NHK man so far!
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/10 13:32
I know some just say they don't own a TV.
Others just don't answer the door.

In reality, its never "enforced" if no one pays.
by John rate this post as useful

NHK man 2008/1/10 13:35
While all TV owners are technically obliged to pay the NHK fee, there is no legal means of enforcing this. Once you start to pay, you will find it much harder to stop, so I would suggest telling the man firmly but politely that you have no intention of paying and not to bother coming again.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

And how can I cancel my contract? 2009/9/11 00:47
Hello, I did the mistake and gave them my bank account data. How can I cancel the contract?

Thanks.
by Carmen (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2009/9/11 01:45
Say you no longer own a TV.
by TV (guest) rate this post as useful

NHK 2009/9/11 07:14
I had this problem for years. One bill after another, even though I never watched TV and didn't have one for years.

I finally spoke to NHK on the phone and explained. They sent me a simple form, I filled it in, and up to now I haven't received any more irritating bills.

by Telly (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread