Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Suggestions needed for japan trip 2008/1/16 11:20
Hello,

This website is awesome! I have been using it to plan my trip for Japan. Thank you!

I almost get my travel plan done but I'm not sure if I can visit all of the following places in 14 days. I'll be in Japan (Tokyo) from 3/29 to 4/11. I'm planning to buy a 14 day JR pass to visit the following places:

Tokyo
Nikko
Kamakura
Mt Fuji
Hakone
Takayama
Kanazawa
Kyoto
Nara
Himeji
Mount Koya
Hiroshima
Miyajima

I'm trying to work on my logistic so I don't have to spend too much time on the train. I'm thinking to visit the above places in that order. But there are so many places to see in such a short time. If you were to cut out some places, which ones would you cut?
Thanks much!
by avu  

itinerary 2008/1/16 12:26
I've been to Japan twice - once to Tokyo and once to Kyoto. You can spend a week in each of those cities. I think your itinerary is much too much - I don't think you will have time to see anything with all that traveling. Have you seen the 14 day itinerary on this website -
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400_tokyo_13.html

Even that seems a bit rushed to me...

Enjoy!
by Mara rate this post as useful

Japan trip 2008/1/16 14:59
I definitely agree with the previous poster. You cannot see all these places properly especial if this is the first time.
here are my suggestions (based on 7 trips so far)and yes I know that others will disagree..
Tokyo and Kyoto yes (3 days a bare minimum for each)
Nikko OR Kamakura
Mt Fuji
Hakone
Takayama OR Kanazawa OR Mount Koya

Nara
Himeji
Hiroshima
Miyajima (don't overnight)
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/1/18 00:50
Thank you for your suggestions! I'll do some more work on the train times and will remove some destination, probably Fuji, and Kanazawa.
by avu rate this post as useful

Skip Nikko 2008/1/18 02:26
I was last nov, for 3 weeks in japan. You may think to cancel Nikko (i didn t find anything really interesting) there.
Nara, is interesting for the big budhas but being short of time (and visiting many temples in kyoto), it s better to have one more day for Hiroshima (to visit memorials).
by paola rate this post as useful

Japan 2008/1/18 06:05
nothing interesting in Nikko???? good grief!!! some of the most amazing and interesting shrines in Japan, even if one doesn't know the first thing about the Tokugawa shoguns..and of course a beautiful lake, waterfall, etc. etc. sorry about ranting.I guess I should mimic the world famous 3 monkeys of Nikko (hear/see/ speak no evil..)
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/18 06:49
I went to Japan for my honeymoon for 2 weeks last June. We spent most of our time in Tokyo. Made a few day trips. Odwara, Hakone & Owakudani, and Kamakura. I still wish we had more time there. 2 weeks for that was barely enough for us.
by Nika rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/18 09:17
I agree, don't rule out Nikko. The temple complexes are some of the best in Japan.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

avu 2008/1/18 09:40
If you have several base camps, city to sleep in travel out of on day trip, then it might be possible. If you stay in different city each day, ie Kyoto then Nara, then book you hotel in advance.
I did basically same thing you are planning, but I stayed in new city each day, and found I was running around too much. Visiting tourist site, run to train station, get off at new city and run around to find a hotel then repeat.

Another time saver is to bring extra cash, for taxi/bus to site, or research location of your ideal sites to visit (from train station/key landmark or you pre booked hotel).... better yet learn enough Japanese (sorry to assume that you donft know any Japanese) so you can ask for directions.

P.S. brief description of what you are interested in, history/technology/religious/etc, would be helpful.
The main thing is that this is your trip, and if you feel you can make the most out of it then go for it. But in my opinion, you are over planning your tip. Plan for slightly smaller list of sites to visit, and if you have couple extra days then you can visit your back up sites.
by Pouliot rate this post as useful

reply to this thread