Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Daunted by temple/shrine visit 2008/1/16 14:59
I've read up on this site on how to visit a shrines and temples but I'm a bit daunted by it all. Once I've entered and washed my hands with the water am I free to just wander around quietly? Is it compulsory to partake in praying, etc? Also for popular places like Kiyomizudera in Kyoto is there a gate that you pay admission at? I don't want to offend anyone by doing something rude and I know if a group of tourists in my country barged into a church and started taking photos I would find that rude.

Thanks.

Mila
by Mila  

... 2008/1/16 15:16
I'm a bit daunted by it all.

There is no need. If you feel uneasy following the procedures like washing hands and praying, just don't do it. Many people skip the hand washing, for example. Furthermore, many Japanese themselves don't do the procedures properly. They bow and clap in the wrong order, clap at temples, etc.

As long as you behave quietly and don't block the way of others, you are very unlikely to appear rude.

Is it compulsory to partake in praying, etc?

No.

Also for popular places like Kiyomizudera in Kyoto is there a gate that you pay admission at?

Yes.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/1/16 15:18
That's a relief to know :) Thanks Uji san!
by Mila rate this post as useful

. 2008/1/16 15:23
As mentioned if you don't run around amuk but are quiet and civil just observing then there's no problem at all.

Also it is true, many Japanese skip the hand washing, and many Japanese do not do the procedures correctly all the time either (eg the number of bows, claps, clap before bow etc etc). Honestly I forget which order it is myself.

As for photography avoid flash photography, and don't take photos where there are signs no photos. Take off your shoes at certain places if there are signs or just observe other people.
by John rate this post as useful

houses of worship 2008/1/16 15:42
Actually many of the biggest churches in Europe-where I originally come from-- allow pictures (with good digital cameras you don't even have to use a flash) unless of course there is a mass in progress. This is not a new custom (except for taking photos obviously) as for most of their history (the churches in my town are 1200 to 900 years old) churches were used, outside mass, as meeting places, as a shelter to get out of the rain etc. Kids would play, dogs would run around etc. Most people instinctly behave the same in churches/ temples/ shrines and museums: they walk slowly, speak softly, admire the building, the objects inside.
don't forget to put coins in the collection box!!
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread