Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What was it? 2008/1/17 16:32
So a few months ago I went to a really huge and expensive Rotary meeting where members all over Hiroshima and the surroundind prefectures met up. During the meeting, a GIGANTIC fish was brought onto the stage and it was sliced and cut in front of everyone. Needless to say... I was disguisted. But the fish was so big that they used swords to slice it open, and it took three people to carry its head. It was also mentioned that the fish costed $30,000.

I spent the whole evening shocked that a fish could cost so much, and thinking of all of the things one could buy with that money.

What type of fish costs that much??
by niko-chan  

... 2008/1/17 19:41
Most likely some type of tuna, a Maguro (yellow-fin tuna), or bluefin tuna.

I've seen 350+ kg ones which could cost $30000
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

a whale 2008/1/17 22:58
was it a whale? my guess is tuna.
by joseph rate this post as useful

tuna 2008/1/18 19:57
yea... first thought that came to my head was tuna. Did it look like this?
http://www.fish4fun.com/images/Waterway/YELLOWFIN_TUNA.jpg

or this:

http://www.mssafrederick.com/fish-pics/2005/cabby-bluefin-tu...
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

Miyuki 2008/1/19 09:25
I can't recall exactly how it looked but.. it was about 5 times as big as the fish in the photo you posted.

Can a single tuna really cost that much? I love tuna, but the price isn't that high for a can.
by niko-chan rate this post as useful

Tuna 2008/1/19 09:44
Niko,

Can a single tuna really cost that much?

Yes. If you read the news, you'll know that the price of tuna is rising steadily these days.

I love tuna, but the price isn't that high for a can.

The price of canned tuna has risen quite a bit actually. Look carefully at the ingredients of those "cheap" cans, as many contain bonito rather than tuna.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

maguro kaitai show 2008/1/19 15:06
If the meat was red, it is most likely to be a "maguro" tuna as everyone has mentioned.

A good maguro fresh enough to be sliced right in front of you is a real treat and worth that money, especially considering that it's not hatchery fish but was a catch from the wild sea.

I think the slicing event is similar to how you would roast a whole pork with a head in a lot of other countries. Something dynamic, fresh and related to nature.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread