Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Gardens in Okinawa/ Ryukyu islands 2008/1/18 10:03
I am planning a leisurely trip in the area, with garden-curious friends. We might visit islands (Yaeyama etc) south of Okinawa. or perhaps the ones north towards Kyushu. Still planning.

As garden and botany fans we are interested to know about any gardens (or nurseries etc).

I already know about Shikinaen in Okinawa Honto. Does anybody know any others?
by Ian  

Okinawa azalea garden 2008/1/18 14:27
We visited Okinawa last March and went to a huge azaelea garden, acres of azalea in bloom...it was on our way back from the Ocean Expo park up in Nago. You'll love it...Has a suspension type bridge, nice little walking trails, and azalea everywhere. Sorry, I don't know the name of it.
by hawaiigal rate this post as useful

Gardens 2008/1/18 15:51
Shikinaen is the only garden I know of but if you like flowers Okinawa is heaven. I think Shuri Castle grounds may also be landscaped, so worth a visit. The Peace Prayer Park down south in Itoman is also worth a visit. As is Seifa Utaki sacred site. Not gardens per se but lots of history combined with breathtaking landscapes. Hedo Misaki (Hedo Point) and Hiji falls are also worth a visit. Ie Jima is well known for its flowers. Hanami here is at the end of January/early February. But there are gorgeous plants all year long 'cause of the climate.
by In Okinawa rate this post as useful

sounds good! 2008/1/18 22:22
Thanks for the thumbs up - now we are getting excited!

Next quest: seeking a good book on the botany and nature of the region. Or maybe just a good and thorough general guide book on the Ryukyus.
by Ian rate this post as useful

Southeast Botanical Gardens 2008/1/19 03:54
The Southeast Botanical Gardens on Okinawa is a beautiful place. It is located just north of the Kadena Air Base. This map:
http://diddlefinger.com/m/okinawaken/nahashi/464556/?ll=26.1...
should show it's location.

Here is their website:

http://www.sebg.co.jp/e/

I went there on Christmas Day, 2006. The lights and laser show were magnificent.
by Paul rate this post as useful

On the above link 2008/1/19 04:00
Sorry, the link in my post above takes you to Naha airport. Scroll north and you will see a marker just north of Kadena Air Base.

Man this medium works fast! 2008/1/19 08:59
Thanks for that link to the garden. I am factoring it in to my travel plan.

Their home page doesn't give much away, I must say. But I have found other links by Googling. I am also interested in its palm tree collection.

Ocean Expo Park 2008/1/19 10:56
There is also an tropical and subtropical arboretum at Ocean Expo Park. There is also an Okinawan village there. The main draw, though, is the Churaumi Aquarium. Great place!! Right on the ocean with a beautiful view of Ie Shima. Here is a link to the Ocean Expo Park:

http://www.kaiyouhaku.com/en/index.html

good stuff 2008/1/19 22:56
Clearly things to see in Okinawa ... so ..... a recommended book, anybody?

reply to this thread