Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Beppu - Jigoku Hot Spring Hell 2008/1/19 23:02
Hi, I am planning to go to Beppu in June and would like to visit the Jigoku, I know there are 9 Jigoku. I will take JR from Fukuoka to Beppu Daigaku Station, but what bus or train i should take to Jigoku after I get off from JR? Or is there any bus from Fukuoka to Jigoku?

Thanks for your help.
by Christy  

... 2008/1/20 08:28
I strongly recommend to get off at Beppu Station rather than Beppu Daigaku Station. Direct trains from Fukuoka do not even stop at Beppu Daigaku Station.

How to get to the hells from Beppu Station is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4702.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/1/20 16:55
Thanks Uji for your quick response.
by Christy rate this post as useful

JR pass in Kyushu 2008/2/3 00:20
Would like to check if there is JR one day pass in Kyushu. I understand that they have 3 day passes. My itineary will be 1 day to Beppu, 1 day to Mojiko/Kokura. Should I just go ahead to buy 3 day passes or take buses instead? Also, would like to reconfirm there is one day JR pass in Osaka, as I want to go to Himeji Castle & Kobe, if 1 can use JR day pass that would be great. Thanks.

passes 2008/2/3 04:29
please check:
www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_03.

by the way the reason there is a small search window right above the whole list of questions in this forum is to allow the quick search of very frequently asked questions, like about JR passes and other passes..
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

... 2008/2/3 07:16
Would like to check if there is JR one day pass in Kyushu.

No, there is no 1-day pass. And the 3-day pass has to be used on three consecutive days.

My itineary will be 1 day to Beppu, 1 day to Mojiko/Kokura.

From where? Fukuoka? Do you return to Fukuoka in between and at the end?

Assuming that your itinerary is Fukuoka - Beppu - Kokura, ending in Kokura, regular train tickets will come cheaper than a rail pass. And buses would come even cheaper.

Also, would like to reconfirm there is one day JR pass in Osaka, as I want to go to Himeji Castle & Kobe, if 1 can use JR day pass that would be great.

There is a 1-day JR West Pass for the Kansai region that covers Osaka, Kobe and Himeji and pays off for a day trip from Osaka to Himeji and back. Then again, you might also be able to visit Himeji on your way between Kyushu and Osaka.

About the JR West Kansai Pass:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361_03.html

Fukuoka 2008/2/3 15:42
Thanks Uji. Actully my itinerary is Fukuoka-Beppu-Fukuoka, the other day is Fukuoka-Mojiko-Kokura-Fukuoka. If that is the case, is that cheaper to get a JR pass? As I found round trip bus from Fukuoka to Beppu already cost around YEN6000 (if i am not wrong).

... 2008/2/4 09:22
As I found round trip bus from Fukuoka to Beppu already cost around YEN6000 (if i am not wrong).

You mean only 6000 yen. That compares to 13,000 yen for a 3-day Kyushu Rail Pass! As for the round trip to Moji/Kokura it can be done for about 3000 yen by rapid train.

JR Kyushu 2008/2/4 22:02
Hmm.. I thought i only need to buy Northern Kyushu Area pass, so 3 days only cost yen 7,000. which should be able to travel to Beppu, Kokura, Mojiko from Fukuoka, am I correct? If the pass take yen 13,000, i probably will go for buses.

... 2008/2/5 10:46
Christy, I was not aware of the existence of the Northern Kyushu Pass until you told me. It was introduced only two weeks ago. Sorry about that! So, yes, it looks like that pass is a good value for your itinerary!

Northern Kyushu Area pass 2008/2/5 12:02
Wow! Didn't know of the new Northern Kyushu Area pass until I read this thread! I'm leaving for Northern Kyushu on Feb 7 and will be visiting Beppu, Karatsu, and Nijo-no-Matsubara. I suppose the pass covers all my itinerary? If so, it would save me lots of money!!
by tkic2 rate this post as useful

Northern Kyushu Pass / Kyoto 2008/2/6 00:13
wow...I hope that pass will last for the year, coz I visit Kyushu in June. BTW, i would like to know if Kyoto Palace is worth to go, as I read some people's blog saying the Palace is not as good as Nijojo.

... 2008/2/6 10:31
The Northern Kyushu rail pass is likely to be available permanently from now.

i would like to know if Kyoto Palace is worth to go, as I read some people's blog saying the Palace is not as good as Nijojo.

Kyoto Palace is the former residence of the emperor, while Nijo castle is the former Kyoto residence of the shogun. Kyoto Palace requires advance reservation and joining a tour and it is not possible to enter any buildings, while Nijo Castle can be visited at any time without reservations, and it is possible to enter the buildings. That is why Nijo Castle often gets better reviews than the Imperial Palace.

Thanks Uji as always 2008/2/6 18:42
Tomorrow is Chinese New Year, wish you have a prosperous "rat" year.

Cheers.

... 2008/2/7 07:40
Thank you. To you too!

reply to this thread