Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Need help with a phrase 2008/1/21 14:51
I've been practicing my Japanese reading/overall comprehension by reading manga in my spare time, but every now and again, I get stumped with a phrase or two... Could someone please help me figure out the meaning of these two phrases? (The source is from a Final Fantasy VII AC doujinshi.... I'm a little embarrassed. ////)

Prompt: この2年もう少しクラウドに強く言ったも良かったのではないか?
(Does this say something along the lines of, "has Cloud gotten any stronger in these past two years"? I'm not really familiar with this form of speech. @_@)

Response: そうね
私もずっと引きずってないで、前向きにってビシッっと言いたかったんだけど
("言いたかった" is "I would have said", past tense, right? After that, I'm just a little bit confused. ^^)

I'm sorry for the really odd question. ^^ I was a little reluctant to post something so niche here, but searching through these forums in the past has really helped me to understand quite a lot. Thanks for any help~ ^^
by Rebby  

... 2008/1/21 17:25
この2年 もう少し クラウドに 強く 言っても良かった の では ない か?

= Wouldn't it have been better had we told Cloud a bit firmer during the past two years?

強く 言う = to tell (someone something) firmly, to emphasize, to instruct firmly

・・・て (te-form of verb) も 良かった = it would have been good (even if) we did....

I'm also putting brackets (quotation marks) to show where the sentences break.

私も、「ずっと 引きずってないで、前向きに」 って ビシッっと 言いたかったんだけど

= I, too, wanted to say firmly "don't dwell on it, but be positive"...

言いたかった = I wanted to say

言いたかったんだけど = i wanted to say... but... (which tells me that the speaker probably didn't say anything.)
引きずる = to dwell (on something), to drag (something)

ビシッと言う = to tell (someone) firmly, sharply
by AK rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/1/21 23:00
Thank you so much for explaining that in detail - that really helps me understand both phrases. ^^ Thank you!
by Rebby rate this post as useful

reply to this thread