Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translation Request (Romaji to English) 2008/1/22 07:30
Hey everyone, sorry to give yous another translation request, I'm sure you get lots of them but keep in mind how much it is appreciated :)

I have an email from my half-sister who doesn't speak any English and my Japanese isn't too great I was wondering if someone here could help me out. She's 13/14 if that helps you get an idea what she'll be talking about.

Here's the email:

hisasiburi™
(Hello)

sukinasupotsuwa,basketballdesu!!
(I like basketball)

moutyottodetyuugaku3nenseidesu
(??????????)
gannbarimasu!!
(Goodbye)

bay
(???)

Thanks anyone that helps!
by Ryan from Scotland  

Romaji 2008/1/22 10:19
Ryan,

hisasiburi™
Long time no see/speak/write

moutyottodetyuugaku3nenseidesu
I'll be in the 3rd grade at Junior High School soon.

gannbarimasu!!
I'll study hard!

bay
Bye!

Maybe one reason why you have problems with decoding this is because the writer uses the Kunrei romanization system which is still frequently taught at Japanese schools, even though the Hepburn system is now generally preferred - and more widely understood by non-Japanese learners.
For example, "moutyottodetyuugaku..." would probably be easier to understand if it were written as "mou chotto de chuugaku...".
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2008/1/22 10:21
hisasiburi™
(Long time no see/hear)

sukina supotsu wa, basketball desu!!
(My favorite sports is basketball)

mou tyotto de tyuugaku 3-nensei desu
(Very soon I will be in 3rd grade of junior high school =equivalent to 9th grade)
(Often people write "tyotto" instead of "chotto" and "tyuugaku" for "chuugaku, if this helps at all.)

gannbarimasu!!
(I'll do my best (at school))

bay
(Bye!)
by AK rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2008/1/22 15:22
Hey thanks both of you for the replies, the extra info and for being so fast!

I new I had heard the 2nd last phrase before but couldn't remember what it meant so tried for an educated guess.

It's really hard not talking the same language and wanting to say so much to her so the help is really really appreciated thank you.
by Ryan from Scotland rate this post as useful

reply to this thread